Thursday, September 19, 2013

Saucy Porcupine Meatballs

When I was a kid, my mom would often make porcupine meatballs.  I always thought that was such a cool name!

Rice is mixed into a burger mixture, and as they bake, they poke out of the meatballs, making them look like the little creatures.  Too fun! 

I haven't made them in years, so when I came across this recipe at Diabetic Connect...and I already had some thawed burger waiting to be used, I am so glad I went with this. 

It was delicious and it's a pretty frugal meal also.  Don't cut back on the hot sauce or Worcestershire - both give it great flavor. 

I didn't have tomato sauce, so I substituted a can of tomatoes and ran it through the blender to make sauce.  Seemed to work just fine. 

Since it bakes for about 2 hours in the oven, I'm sure this would be a great
recipe to make in the crockpot.  



SAUCY PORCUPINE MEATBALLS 

1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
2 c. water
1 Tb. worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. hot sauce
3/4 c. long-grain brown rice
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
(or more)
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic/pepper blend
(or use 1/2 tsp. garlic powder and 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper) 
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef


Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce in a large pot.

Combine rice, onion, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add beef; gently mix to combine (do not overmix). 
Using about 1 tablespoonful each, make about 40 small meatballs. Add to the sauce, making sure all the meatballs are mostly covered with juice.

Cover and bake, gently stirring a couple of times, until the rice is tender, 
 for about 2 to 2-1/4 hours.
Yield: about 6 servings

Cover and freeze cooked meatballs in sauce, airtight, for up to 3 months.
Defrost before reheating. 

Linked to Weekend Potluck