Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Tuna Zucchini Cakes

I know...I know...if you've been brave enough to keep reading...and are thinking...

EEEWWW - that doesn't sound like a good combo...trust me, keep reading...

I have been trying to eat 'clean'...fewer carbs (ouch!), limited processed food,
more protein and veggies, and then I saw this recipe.

I thought why not try it?  It has a good combo of what I need to eat, so...

I was pleasantly surprised how GOOD they were! It's quick and easy too.

I adapted this recipe found at Taste of Home...and you know they have reliable recipes, so give these a try soon.  
(Nutritional info is there if you need it) 


TUNA ZUCCHINI CAKES 

1 Tb. coconut oil (or butter)
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1 pouch (6.4 ozs.) light tuna in water
1 c. seasoned bread crumbs, divided
(I used panko)
1 c. shredded zucchini, salted, drained & dried off
(I place it between paper towels to dry)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 c. minced fresh parsley, optional 
1/2 tsp. dijon mustard, optional
1 tsp. lemon juice
(I used lime)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Tb. coconut or canola oil 

In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over med-high heat; add onion; cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

To the onion mixture, add tuna, 1/2 c. bread crumbs, zucchini, eggs, parsley, mustard, lemon juice, and seasonings; mix lightly but until well blended.

Shape into 6 - 1/2-in. thick patties; coat with remaining bread crumbs. 
(I omitted coating the patties)

In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook patties 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and heated thoroughly. 

Yield: 3 servings (2 patties each)



You might also like 


















Print Friendly and PDF