Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Southwest Chicken Chop Salad



Now all of you know I'm about quick and easy
(not to mention..delicious!)

So when I share a 'longer' recipe, you gotta know it's cause I think it is WAY worth it.

This is one of those recipes.  The list of ingredients is longer than usual, but it is SO tasty and yummy.   And you should know the directions are really short.
*-*

You can make it to 'fit' your family's tastes, by adding or taking away anything on the list.  There is a lot of chopping involved here, but you can do much of it ahead of time.  It's a great way to use up that leftover chicken in your fridge too. 

Personally, I ADORE the combination of black beans and avocado.  OH YUM!! 
The dressing is ranch and taco seasoning mixed together with mayo.  More YUM! 

I found the recipe at Lauren's Latest where she shares an amazing tutorial for this lovely salad.  Her photo is better than mine for sure, so be sure to pop over and check it out.  And please tell her hello from me too.  

(Sadly, I guess I pretty much covered up my salad with the chips, while Lauren added hers to the salad after mixing in the dressing...much better idea).  

There are so many beautiful colors (& healthy goodness too!) in this salad, I will be sure to do it differently next time...because there WILL be a next time. 

I used more black beans, but you could also change up the kinds of beans you would enjoy, or add some cheese.  



SOUTHWEST CHICKEN CHOP SALAD 

2 c. diced rotisserie chicken
1 green pepper, diced, optional
(I don't care for green peppers, so I didn't add them) 
1 - 15 ozs. can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 c. sweet yellow corn, canned or frozen
2 roma tomatoes, diced
4 scallions, washed and sliced (use the whole thing)
1 large romaine heart, washed and chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, washed and chopped, optional
2 ripe avocados, (not overly ripe) diced
2 c. crushed tortilla chips

Dressing: 
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 Tb. ranch seasoning
1/2 Tb. taco seasoning
1/2 Tb. (fresh is best) lime juice, optional
salt & pepper, to taste

In a large bowl, stir all salad ingredients together, excluding the tortilla chips and avocado. In a small bowl, stir all dressing ingredients together until smooth. When ready to serve, toss salad with dressing then gently stir in avocado and tortilla chips.

Linked to Weekend Potluck

4 comments :

  1. Can't wait to make this...love chopped salad and chicken to go in it too...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat a salad almost everyday and this looks like a great one! Thanks for sharing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Salad recipes!! =)
    They fill you up, and are good for you.
    Your recipe sounds great!

    Pinning to save, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good. I'm such a big fan of southwest salads and tacos salads! The dressing sounds really yummy. I might have to try this tomorrow. :-) I'm featuring this recipe in tomorrow's post. The post will go live at 6PM EST. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly