Wednesday, September 14, 2011

LowFat Lemon/Blueberry Biscuits

I began making this recipe many years ago. I found it in a Taste of Home magazine.

{If you haven't figured it out yet...I'm a HUGE fan of Taste of Home recipes.}

This is deliciously wonderful. If you choose to make these sugar free/fat free...no one will guess. They are healthy nibbles of yumminess!

I think the marriage of lemon and blueberry is a perfect match....and that resulting thought is expressed beautifully in this biscuit.


Oh...another thing that I love about this recipe is that you stir it by hand. No need to get out the mixer and dirty the beaters.

It's easy to make and very tasty.

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and add the blended wet ingredients, then stir. I love using my curved spatula...or spoonula, as Rachel Ray calls it.





I enjoyed some warm biscuits and hot tea in the middle of the afternoon! Such pampering!







LEMON BLUEBERRY BISCUIT
(From The Better Baker)



2 c. all purpose flour (I replaced 1/3 c. with whole wheat)
1/3 c. sugar (I use xylitol)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 carton (8 ozs) lemon yogurt
(I only had vanilla, so I added a tsp. or lemon flavoring to yogurt)
1 egg, lightly beaten (or 2 egg whites)
1/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
(I've substituted liquid Butter Buds to
make this totally fat free)
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries



(I like a little more lemon 'zing', so I add a little more lemon flavoring even when I use lemon yogurt)


GLAZE:
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 Tb. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel


Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Combine yogurt, egg, butter and lemon peel; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Drop by tablespoonsful onto a greased baking sheet. Bake 15 - 18 minutes or until lightly browned. (Remember the Splenda 'rule'...it bakes faster). Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm biscuits.



Yield: 1 dozen 




























6 comments :

  1. Marsha, you're killing my diet with all these yummy recipes! :)

    Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taste of Home recipes are the best, because every recipe that they provide has been tested in their test kitchen. When a Taste of Home recipe is made....you know it's going to be good.
    I have all the ingredients for these biscuits. I just might make them today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They DO look like scones. These look wonderful! I really enjoy these types of recipes. I'm glad I came to visit and itt's nice to meet you through Angie! You left a very nice comment on my blog, thank you!

    Michael Ann
    http:/thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha, I am sitting here devouring one of these biscuits! I made them this morning and they are FABULOUS!! Seriously delicious. And what is even better is that they were SO easy to make. Like you said, no beaters and no rolling pins. Thank you for this wonderful recipe that I will adding to my recipe binder!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have two blogs in case you are confused about my profile up there. My recipe one is http://thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com We met through Angie last week!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly