Friday, November 18, 2011

Baked Acorn Squash with Cinnamon Apples

What a wonderful fall dish! 

I was so happy to come across this recipe at my sweet blogging friend Joy @ Simply Bloom {the blog}.

Her photos are always! so inviting and that one sucked me right in.

I'm partial to the richness, smoothness, and taste of butternut squash, but sweeten up acorn squash this way and I am ON IT!

I've probably told you before, but my most favorite dishes are desserts, and running in 2nd place are SIDE DISHES!

I'm wild about side dishes and do believe if I lived by myself, I could live without meat, and eat side dishes to my heart's content.


This is soo tasty - it was the only thing I filled my plate (and tummy) with for dinner the evening I first fixed it.

Do hope you'll try it soon.  It's simple and simply delicious!!!


BAKED ACORN SQUASH WITH CINNAMON APPLES

2 - 3 acorn squash
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
(I used 1/4 c. brown sugar splenda)
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 Tb. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt 
(I used less)

1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
(I used 1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice)
2 - 3 lg. apples - cored and chopped
(I didn't peel)

Preheat oven to 350. In small bowl, stir together brown sugar, butter, flour, salt, cinnamon and all spice.

Wash and halve the squash. Clean out the seeds and 'stringy stuff' and arrange in ungreased 9" X 13" baking dish.  Fill the 'holes' with chopped apple, then drizzle the sugar mixture on top. 
(Joy suggests you do that lavishly).

The recipe didn't call for it, but I added about 1/2 c. water, or more, to the pan so it would steam the squash as it bakes.

Cover dish with foil.  Bake 60 - 70 (less time if the squash are small) minutes or until squash is tender.   (Mine were large, and I baked them nearly 1-1/2 hrs.)

This goes beautifully as a side dish or simply as a treat on its own.

I can testify to that thought!  MMMM!

13 comments :

  1. This looks so easy and so good. I love squash, too. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I came across your blog via Tonya (4 Little Fergusons) and I love it all! Can't wait to read more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love butternut squash, but for some reason, I have never tried acorn squash. I guess I better get with the program! Sounds delish! :)

    Have a great weekend Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, so glad you're as addicted as I am! :) Will let you know how the marriage of acorn squash and quinoa goes tonight! Lovies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Happy Birthday! come back and visit us on Mom BLog Society, we miss you!
    Pam
    PS, I am following you on GFC

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks yummy, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this, this morning. We both have good taste. Thanks for the tip about pumpkin pie spice. That, I did not add. This is such a nice dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never made squash this sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you sure did make "mincemeat" out of your baked acorn squash with cinnamon apples. Guess you liked it huh? We have already had our Thansgiving here in Canada but I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving. Were you practising for your dinner with the squash??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure if I would eat this for dinner, or for dessert; either way it is delicious! Love the flavor combo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks to me like it would be like eating a pie in a squash. I love acorn squash and I have four of them that I have been studying for days now. I think I know what I'm going to do with them now. Thank you for sharing this great recipe at Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We also added cooked bacon. Sweet and smoky! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly