Thursday, October 25, 2012

{Slow Cooker} Vegetable Breakfast Casserole


                                                                  
This is a terrific dish with many options to use what you love best. 

It cooks overnight so breakfast is ready when you climb out of bed.  What's not to love about that??? 

And your house is going to smell so good you won't WANT to stay in bed! 

Use what you have leftover in the fridge, or your favorite additions. 

I'm thankful I came across this yummy recipe at Cooking with Libby cause we really loved this! I make a lot of Libby's crockpot recipes. 

Just chop - layer - cook!....While you're sleeping even!!!


{SLOW COOKER}VEGETABLE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE 

1 lb. bacon, sausage, or ham (cooked & chopped)
1 sm. onion, diced
1 sm. bell pepper, diced
3 green onions, chopped
Half a 32 oz. bag of frozen hash browns
(I suggest using the cubed hash browns as they will hold their shape better after overnight cooking)
1 and 1/2 c. shredded cheese 
(I mixed cojack along with 2% fiesta cheese)
6 eggs
(or 4 eggs and 4 egg whites)
1/2 c. (1%) milk (I used just a tad more)
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Spray slow cooker with cooking spray or place a liner inside.
 Layer the ingredients as follows - hash browns, meat, onions, bell pepper, and 
1 cup cheese  
 In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
 Pour egg mixture over ingredients in slow cooker.  
 Spread the remaining cheese on top.
 Cook on low for 6-7 hours overnight.

(I recently purchased an electronic timer (about $5) and set it to turn off about an hour before I wake up...I think that's better than having it start after you go to bed as you don't want the eggs to sit out without cooking). 

(Note: I placed a paper towel under the lid to catch the moisture so you
don't have a soggy breakfast) 


                                                                         

2 comments :

  1. Yum! I love everything in that casserole! I'm sure it smells wonderful in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm surprised it doesn't overcook in 7 hours! Got to try this! Have a nice weekend! I hope your husband is doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly