Sunday, August 18, 2013

Zapple Crisp

I am SO excited to share this recipe with you!

I've been making it for many years...since my children were young.  I think the recipe might have been given to me by my sis-in-love, Judy. 
(All those BAKER girls are great cooks!)

I think you are going to be amazed!

If you've never tried this dessert...using ZUCCHINI! instead of apples, no one is going to believe it's really zucchini because it tastes just like APPLES!!

NO.JOKE!!

I've had SO MUCH FUN over the years bluffing folks who were SURE they HAD to be eating apples...NOT Zucchini! 

Doncha love how zucchini takes on the flavor of other things?
When I was a kid, my mom canned zucchini and made it taste like pineapple!

I love this so much and it's such an awesome way to use up the abundance of zucchini. 

I LOVE eating it warm. The top and bottom crust is nice and crispy. And I think it tastes best when eaten the same day it's made...atleast it's crispiest the same day.  The deliciousness lasts as long as the dessert does.

Start slicing that pile of 'zukes'....and enjoy every tasty bite! 

You can use fresh or frozen zucchini...thawed, of course. 

(This is a recipe from my first cookbook...if you are interested in any details about my recently published second one...LOVE AT FIRST BITE...click here)

I made this to take some to someone in need...it's good enough to share! 
 Yes, and serve with ice cream too...they'll never know! Add caramel topping too!



ZAPPLE CRISP

8 cups peeled, sliced zucchini
1/3 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. water
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Crust:
3-3/4 c. flour
1-1/4 c. sugar
1 cup margarine, plus 4 Tb.
(I've already cut that back from 3 sticks!)
dash salt
2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375. Cook zucchini in lemon juice & water until tender.  Add sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg.  Mix crust ingredients until crumbly.  Use 1 cup crust mix to thicken filling.  Pat 1/2 of remaining crust into 9" X 13" baking pan.  Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven, spoon filling over crust and spread evenly.  Top with the rest of the crumb mixture, patting down.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake 30 minutes more.   

ENJOY!

Linked to Thursday's Treasures
          Weekend Potluck 
Melt in your Mouth Monday  
Lou Lou Girls
Meal Plan Monday

6 comments :

  1. I totally forgot about this trick! I remember hearing that you could make a fake apple pie using zucchini. Too neat! I hope to try this - it sounds oh so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love it! My computer geek daughter showed me what to do so that I can now comment on your posts from Bloglovin'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I love adding more vegetables to our diet. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "Crisp" recipes! =)
    and..I love zucchini! I had never thought of using zucchini instead of apples, but it sounds delicious!

    Thanks!
    Pinning to my Dessert board!

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoa, crazy!! i want to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic idea. I use zucchini in all sorts of things but never thought to use it in an apple crisp. Awesome. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures. This is a feature this week.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly