Thursday, July 5, 2018

Amish Cinnamon Swirl Bread (Copycat Bob Evans Cinnamon Bread) UPDATED


If you've never been to a Bob Evans Restaurant (go..today!) ..you 
might be familiar with their wonderful and awesome breads!

Folks seem to LOVE the Copycat Bob Evans Banana Bread that I make
for market (Just realized I don't have a post for that...will work on that soon..)  They have great blueberry or pumpkin breads too, but this
Cinnamon Swirl Bread is fast becoming my favorite. 

My sis-in-love, Vicki, use to be a manager at a Bob Evans...she knows GREAT...and she thinks this tastes as good as the kind you get at BE!
That's quite a compliment...I dare say!!! 


Soon after my hubby began dialysis in March 2017...one of our sweet friends (Thanks Cathy!) sent over a loaf of this amazing bread.  I knew I HAD to have the recipe, and was rather shocked at how simple the recipe is! 

It uses buttermilk, (You always get BEST results when you use the real thing**see note below) which explains why it melts in your mouth, and the
only 'extra' ingredient is baking soda.  HUH?  So you have the 'regulars'...sugar, butter, flour, eggs and buttermilk, the only other ingredient you add (to the batter...not including the streusel topping...is baking soda! 

So get yourself to the kitchen and try this wonderful bread. 
I love that it makes 2 loaves...You can easily cut it half to make 1...I always double the recipe when making it for farmer's market. Don't believe I've ever had any of it left over! 


I like using some raw brown sugar in the streusel topping...another special sis-in-love, Heidi, brought it back for me from the island of St. Kitts (where she and my brother have a villa)  It has bigger granules and adds a little more texture, but plain white/brown sugar (combo) works just fine too. 

UPDATE:**I've also learned that when making your own buttermilk... 1 Tb. acid is not enough...try adding 2 Tb. of vinegar or lemon juice per 1 cup of milk, to make it taste like real buttermilk! 

It freezes nicely when wrapped in saran wrap and stored in a ziploc freezer bag or container. 

Perfect for drop in company...or not.  Enjoy a slice or two with your morning coffee...

You're gonna love this!


AMISH CINNAMON SWIRL BREAD 

Batter: 

1 c. butter, softened
1-1/2 c. sugar
(reduced from 2 c.) 
2 eggs
2 c. buttermilk 
**(substitute by adding 4 Tb. vinegar or lemon juice to 2 c. milk...
allow to stand 5 minutes before using) 
4 c. all purpose flour 
2 tsp. baking soda

Streusel:

1/3 c. white sugar
1/3 c. brown 
(or all of one kind) 
2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350*.  Spray 2 - 8" loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray; 
set aside. 

In large bowl, cream together butter, 1-1/2 c. sugar and eggs; beat until smooth. Add buttermilk, flour and baking soda.  Pour 1/4 of the batter in bottom of each of the loaf pans. Sprinkle 3/4 of the cinnamon mixture, dividing evenly over the tops of each pan. Add remaining batter to pans; sprinkle with the last of cinnamon mixture.  Swirl with a knife or toothpick.  Bake 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean

Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool. 

NOTE:  You can bake this batter in muffin tins (it helps with portion control!) for about 18 minutes (be sure to check before time is up) or in 5" mini loaf pans for about 30 - 32 minutes..



Linked to 
Meal Plan Monday






Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments :

  1. My mom made this bread and I got the recipe from her. Melts in your mouth. Soft/smooth crumb. Important to follow the direction to remove when toothpick inserted comes out almost clean, that's how I bake soft cookies (of course, I don't insert a toothpick). Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and making my day! SO happy you enjoyed it..it's one of my favorites for sure!

      Delete

Printfriendly