Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Special Egg Salad and all you've ever wanted to know about cooking eggs

I will share the egg info at the bottom of this post, but am so happy to share this EGG-celent recipe for s-p-e-c-i-a-l! egg salad with you!

I thought this would be a terrific recipe to help use up all those Easter eggs!

Once I tried this delightful dish, I haven't ever used another for egg salad.

I'm a HUGE cream cheese fan, so it's no surprise that I went wild over this egg salad - it was definitely love at first bite!

Besides having a nice thick texture, it lasts a long time in the fridge too...if you can keep from eating it up.


(I'm pretty tickled with that picture!  A non-blogging friend who is one terrific cook and photographer suggested it to me...she even loaned me the cookie cutter!) 

How fun is that????


When this salad is freshly made, I have a hard time getting it into the fridge....

I'll put the (first) dirty fork in the sink...reach for another...then another, so it doesn't last long.

Except for this last time I made it.... 

I guess I got busy making other things and hubby forgot about it too.

Honest to goodness!  When I opened it up after a week in the back of the fridge, it was still nice and thick and creamy - not watery at all.

And as tasty as ever -

A lesson learned....

You can find this deliciously wonderful recipe in my cookbook on page 22!



This salad is great on toasted bread, but I really enjoy it with nice crisp crackers as well.

A 'trick' I use when making egg salad - I cut the eggs in half, place them in a bowl, and chop them using my pastry blender.  Works so much faster for me.

I also soften the cream cheese in the microwave just a little so I can whisk the ingredients together and not have to get the beaters involved.

Enjoy every tasty bite!


SPECIAL EGG SALAD

4 ozs. (reduced-fat cream) cheese, softened
1/4 c. (fat free) mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
6 hard cooked eggs, chopped
wheat bread - lettuce leaves

In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.  Add the mayonnaise, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper; fold in the eggs.  Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Toast bread and serve sandwiches with lettuce for added crunch.

Yield: 6 servings

          Linked to       A Well-Seasoned Life
                  Everyday Sisters Sharing Sunday



                                  ********************************************

Everything you have ever wanted to know about cooking eggs...any way you can think of...click on link below and check out this amazing info...

15 comments :

  1. Yum! I have boiled eggs, too! Well, who doesn't after Easter, right? ha. I love the idea of using your pastry blender to cut up the eggs. I'm going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Marsha,
    I'm a big egg salad fan! Can't wait to try your version! It looks delicious! Great photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had egg salad made with cream cheese. I am definitely going to have to try this....
    I love the picture. How creative!! And so fitting for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything that has Cream Cheese in it has got to be GREAT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. **Come check out my blog..YOU got an AWARD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum... this looks awesome... never had egg salad with cream cheese... Have about 8 dozen boiled eggs... probably going to be making this soon :) thanks for sharing...too bad you and Angie didn't live closer or I would be sharing all of these eggs... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, cream cheese in egg salad sounds like a really delicious addition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Marsha for linking up to
    "Made it on Monday" :)

    You so sweet to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello...With Cream Cheese added?! I am your girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had egg salad with cream cheese before but I love the idea. This looks delicious! I've recently become a big egg salad fan since I tasted my aunt's salad at a recent gathering. Thank you for sharing your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for always linking up on TTT! I love egg salad so I want to try this version. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious, I love the addition of cream cheese! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love egg salad. The best part of egg dying! Thanks for sharing a tasty recipe. Come visit us this week. We have some wonderful things to share and today is also the last day to win a really terrific charm bracelet from Cutey. Be sure to stop by and check out the Cutey post and comment to win!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this is great! I made it tonight, it reminds me of deviled eggs!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly