Monday, June 20, 2011

My Girlfriend Vacation - Whoop-de-doop!!

I've been SO excited to share my recent time away with you. It's been very difficult to sort through all the pictures because I'd love to share even more.

I met with two 'old' girlfriends in Spokane, WA.  We had all lived in Anchorage, Alaska and went to the same church in the early 80's. 

It had been over 25 yrs. since we'd all been together. And it felt like we picked up right where we left off. 

WHAT A PRECIOUS TIME TOGETHER!

Sherri lives in Spokane in the home where she was raised, on a street lined with relatives.  She has a large & amazing Italian family. It seemed no matter where we were driving in town, she had a cousin or an uncle that lived in this or that house....we were in awe!

Sherri also has the gift of hospitality and Wanda and I felt like we were very pampered in the 12 days we shared together.
These are only a few of the many pictures we have in our albums.



In Sherri's Home
from l - r - me, Wanda (Anchorage) & Sherri


Gondola ride over the river at Riverfront Park


Carousel ride at Riverfront Park  

A devestating tragedy occurred while we were there.  Sherri's beloved 38 yr. old nephew tragically died, and Wanda and I were so thankful that God-ordained our time together so we could be for her then. We both were blessed and honored to help serve in the kitchen at the funeral dinner.

Sherri's husband John, had left that same morning to go hunting 500 miles from home, just to turn around and return the following day because of the death.  So we gals got to enjoy unexpected time with him.  He would fix coffee (fresh ground no less!) for us every morning...I told him we do it the scriptural way in our home also...HE BREWS! *-*

Anyway, we had such a great time with John.  He's quiet and reserved, much like my own hubby, and we appreciated his 'stretching himself' to spend time with us. He said he hadn't laughed so much in a long time. We enjoyed
playing card games together. And eating out...


(A rose between the thorns, huh Wanda?) ha
Brunch at Twigs Restaurant after church

Wanda and I absolutely fell in love with their sweet pooch, Gracie.
She's a Maltepoo and just adorable.  I have really missed her attention and affection. The way Wanda is adoringly gazing at her in this picture says it all!


We did lots and lots of shopping too!  Oh what fun!

My hubby Ron, was stationed at Fairchild AFB, just outside of Spokane, after we moved from Anchorage, so it was a blast to catch up with 3 special gals I had worked with and 2 of my daughter's special school chums also. F.U.N!!!!

I was thrilled to share a meal out with a special young family with 6 children...ages 4, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 12.  The mama was a little girl when we lived there.  They are an amazing family and sa-weeet!!

Of course, food played a big role in the time we shared too. 

Sherri has the words "Mangia! Mangia!" on her dining room wall in vinyl...in Italian it means, "Eat! Eat!"  We sure did more than our share!

Sherri made us tasty yogurt/fruit smoothies in the mornings...and oftentimes, made lowfat caramel macchiatos (using decaf coffee) in the evenings.  We were so spoiled!


I enjoyed this very full bowl of huckleberry oatmeal when we stopped at a diner on the way home from the airport - YUUUUM! I left an empty bowl behind too!


I really splurged when John took us to breakfast at the Kalico Kitchen. I enjoyed every bite of this wonderful bacon/egg/tater/onion/cheese scramble.

We had fun with our food too!

Onion ring tower at Red Robin

Wanda watches Guy's 'Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives' on Food Network so we 'had' (right!) to go to a few of the places on her 'bucket list'.  That was always fun.

This was Sherri & Wanda at Jimmy's Down the Street, in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.



And while we were in town, this one is Wanda and me by a moose statue on the sidewalk in Coeur d'Alene..I love moose! This one was too big to bring home.



It still cracks me up to think of ALLLL the pictures we posed for!!!
Silly girls having a ton of fun! Older, but we're still young at heart.




Anyway - that's a sneak peek into my fabulous time away. I have said again and again..how amazing that 3 gals could spend that much time together and leave one another, loving each other more than when we began! I slept soo well and came home feeling very rested, despite the 3 hr. time change.

I am truly blessed to call Sherri & Wanda very special sisters of my heart!! We're already talking about when we can meet together again.




Wanda is the one who sends me these beautiful name tags!!! Now you all love her too huh? =)



8 comments :

  1. awww, I am so glad you had such a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious to make so many mental memories....I'm glad you had a good time despite the troubles that were encountered. It is so great to have sisters of the heart. And posing for pictures is fun no matter what the age. Thank you for sharing your special moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks as if you all had a wonderful time even with the heart wrenching death of a loved one. There was a BIGGER reason for you all to be together!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I've been waiting for this post! Looks like such a wonderful time. How nice that you got to spend a good long visit...seems like when we do these things they are for one weekend and not nearly enough time to relax and enjoy.

    Love the timing of the funeral. There are no coincidences with God. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time! It's so sad that we lived a few hours from each other and didn't find out until we were a few days away. :{ Sisters in the Lord are sister forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you had such a wonderful time and thank you for sharing your lovely pictures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so much fun to read, Marsha! It sounds like you had some great "girl time" with your friends!

    Love those onion ring towers at Red Robin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Marsh;

    Nice to hear it was a enjoying and relaxing vacation. You could tell it in your words and descriptions.
    I'm sure Wanda and Sherri enjoyed your presence, at much as you enjoyed their's.
    Welcome back !
    Who loves ya, baby?

    Deano Deano

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly