Thursday, August 22, 2013

Ice Cream Dessert with Peanut Butter Crust

 I already had this scheduled to be published, so I wanted to add a note to extend my sympathy to my dear friend, Kitty, as her husband, Rich,  lost his battle to cancer this past week.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you Kitty.

 With summer winding down, I decided I'd better get this yummy dish posted

What a wonderful and refreshing dessert idea I found over at my dear friend Kitty's blog...Kitty's Kozy Kitchen.
This has been a family favorite of theirs for many years and I know mine will enjoy it again too.  YUM! 
Vanilla ice cream, crunchy peanut butter crust with hot fudge mixed in.
GOTTA LOVE IT!!! 
ICE CREAM DESSERT WITH PEANUT BUTTER CRUST
1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream, softened in the fridge for 30 minutes
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. light corn syrup
2 1/4 c. oven-toasted rice cereal


In medium bowl, combine peanut butter and the corn syrup.  Add rice cereal and mix well. Pat into the bottom of a 9 x 13" pan.  Add 1/2 of the ice cream & smooth out on top of the crust.  Freeze for 1 hour.  Place the rest of the ice cream in the fridge to use later.

In the meantime, make the hot fudge sauce: 

3/4 c. sugar
(I used 1/2 xylitol + 1/2 sugar...just to reduce the sugar amount)
 1/2 c. cocoa
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. butter
1 t. vanilla


In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook sugar, cocoa, whipping cream & butter until mixture is smooth & begins to boil, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.  Cool fudge sauce slightly.

Pour about 1-1/4 cups fudge sauce over the ice cream.  Return to freezer for about 20 minutes.  

Remove from freezer; spread remainder of the ice cream on top.  Drizzle remainder of fudge sauce over the top.  (You may need to re-heat the sauce a little in order to drizzle it.

Cover dessert & return to freezer.  Freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.  

  Before serving, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.

Yield: 12-15 servings


Linked to Weekend Potluck
GBP Roundup - Peanut Butter
Meal Plan Monday


3 comments :

  1. Thank you, sweet friend, for your kind words. You're the best. Love and hugs sent to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ice cream desserts!
    How did you know? =)

    going to pin this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's husband! I said a prayer for her and the family. :'( The dessert sounds very good but I have sensitive teeth and rarely eat ice cream. Hubby would love it but I'd probably have to halve it b/c he would totally eat that whole pan by himself. haha!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly