Sunday, May 8, 2016

Strawberry Rhubarb Cream Cheese Blondies

It's that time of year!  Rhubarb season here in NW Ohio. 

So when I came across this recipe that I printed many moons ago from 
Hot Eats and Cool Reads, I decided NOW was the perfect time to make this dish.

(hover over photo to pin)

I'm wild about anything with cream cheese. 

I adapted this recipe a bit, the biggest change being I added some strawberry jello to the rhubarb sauce, just because I'm especially fond of the fruity combo. I also used 1/4 c. less brown sugar. 

I served the first piece to my sweet hubby, while it was still warm,
and he commented.."This is REALLY good!"

When I had more the second day, I decided I preferred it warm, so then I just reheated a piece in the microwave just before enjoying. 

Hope you'll enjoy it soon. 



STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB CREAM CHEESE BLONDIES 


1-1/2 c. fresh rhubarb, chopped
(I thawed frozen I had on hand...it cooks a lot
easier and faster when it's softer) 

1/4 c. sugar

2 tsp. (fresh) lemon juice
1/2 pkg. (sugar free) strawberry jello
3/4 c. plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided
1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
3/4 - 1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs, divided
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
4 ozs. cream cheese, softened



Directions:

In a small saucepan, combine rhubarb, sugar and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until rhubarb is softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in dry jello until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8" X 8" square baking dish; set aside. 



In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking powder.



In large mixing bowl, blend butter with brown sugar; mix well. Add 1 egg, cinnamon and vanilla; blend until smooth. Add flour mixture little by little and mix together. Spread in prepared dish.



In  same small bowl, combine softened cream cheese, 2 Tb. flour and

 1 egg.


Alternate spooning rhubarb and cream cheese mixture onto the blondie layer. Swirl with a knife to marble.



Bake for 28 - 30 minutes or until center is set. Cool; cut into squares.

Linked to Weekend Potluck
             Full Plate Thursday
















Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly