Sunday, June 5, 2016

Rhubarb (Strawberry) Custard Pie (Low Sugar Option)

I've had this tasty and simple recipe in my files for over 40 years. Our dear 'other mother', Evelyn Deetz, gave me this recipe when I was a fresh newlywed. It's my 'go to' rhubarb dessert. 

Hubby asked for pie with strawberries, so...since I didn't have fresh berries, I added some dry (sugar free) strawberry jello to it. You could  add fresh berries if you prefer, but I would suggest chopping, then coating them in flour first, just so they won't make the pie too juicy. 

(Because I added jello, I reduced the amount of sugar called for in the original recipe) 

(hover over photo to pin)

This is so easy it can be created and enjoyed during the week. It just takes time to chop the rhubarb. I like to use a pie crust mix or one from the refrigerator section of the grocery store.

Make your own crust if you have a recipe you cherish.  And enjoy this tasty dessert.

I substitute most of the sugar with sweetener, but you could use full sweetener if you need to.  I like sweetener that measures like sugar, but not Splenda.  That's up to you. 


RHUBARB (STRAWBERRY) CUSTARD PIE

3 c. chopped fresh rhubarb 
(I oftentimes use frozen, thawed and drained well)
1/2 pkg. sugar free jello, optional 
(if using 'regular' jello, add about 2 - 3 Tb.)
1-1/4 - 1-3/4 c. white sugar
1/3. c. all purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten 
1/2 tsp. nutmeg, optional
1-unbaked 9" pie shell

Preheat oven to 425. In medium bowl, mix all ingredients together by hand and pour into prepared pie shell.  Bake about 45 minutes or until firm. 

Serve cold with whipped cream. Or no whipped cream.
It's good any way you serve it. 











Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly