Monday, November 29, 2010

Homemade Turkey Soup

I just had to share this recipe I came across as I've made soup just like this for years.  This year we only had a turkey breast, so I cut the leftovers up and will make Turkey Pot Pie later this week.

But this recipe reminded me of the many times I've made turkey rice soup using the carcass.  MMM good!  Hope you'll use up some of your leftover bird to enjoy this tasty dish.

Feel free to use frozen mixed vegetables if you don't want to take the time to chop the veggies.

You don't have to add the canned soup, but it does make for a creamier dish.

Add some crackers, a roll, or a sandwich and enjoy a great meal.

Maybe you can do some Christmas decorating while the carcass is simmering?



HOMEMADE TURKEY SOUP from Taste of Home

8-10 Servings Prep: 30 min. Cook: 2 hours 35 min.

Ingredients:



1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 10- to 12-pound turkey)

2 quarts water

1 medium onion, halved

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 bay leaves

1 cup chopped carrots

1 cup uncooked long grain rice

1/3 cup chopped celery

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted


Directions:


Place the turkey carcass in a stockpot; add the water, onion, salt and bay leaves. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.


Remove carcass; cool. Strain broth and skim off fat. Discard onion and bay leaves. Return broth to the pan. Add the carrots, rice, celery and chopped onion; cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender.


Remove turkey from bones; discard bones and cut turkey into bite-size pieces. Add turkey and cream soup to broth; heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2 quarts).

4 comments :

  1. AHHHH....Taste of Home is one of my favorite lean-to cookbooks. I love attending the cooking schools they offer in our area. I am going to be loyal to the one in Bryan until I win something....A personal goal I have set for myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Angie! I've been to just about all of them too - there we were in the same room and never knew each other! I'll be sure to hunt you down next time I'm there...and I hear your name being called as a winner! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm sounds perfect for dinner tonight. I also love love love Taste of Home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing like turkey soup after Thanksgiving! Unfortunately, I didn't have enough leftovers this year to make a pot. I usually freeze a few bowls of it for me and my husband!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly