Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Makeover Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch

   
This is another great recipe I just had to have in my cookbook.

Rhubarb and strawberries make the perfect combo of tart and sweet. MMMM!

It's called a 'makeover' because it has been made healthier by using lower-fat/sugar-free products.

We enjoyed much rhubarb when I was a kid.  I sometimes think it's something you have to grow up with to like, because it can be disliked by those who haven't ventured to try it in their childhood.

I keep rhubarb in my freezer during the year so I can make dishes like this anytime.

One of my daughter-in-loves loves to eat it raw, and the more sour it is, the better she likes it.  Hmm....to each his (or her) own, right? 

Do hope you'll try this and enjoy it as much as we do.

'Tis the season....



MAKEOVER STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CRUNCH

1/2 c. sugar
2 Tb. cornstarch
2-1/2 c. sliced fresh strawberries
(I often use frozen since they're going to be cooked anyway)
2 c. diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tb. sugar free strawberry jello, dry
2/3 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. quick-cooking oats
1/4 c. brown sugar blend (Splenda)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 c. cold butter
reduced-fat whipped topping or reduced-fat strawberry  or vanilla ice cream, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8" square baking dish with cooking spray. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in strawberries and rhubarb until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 - 2 minutes or until thickened.  Remove from heat; add vanilla and stir in jello until dissolved.  In small bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar blend and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly.  Sprinkle over fruit mixture. Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Serve with whipped topping or ice cream if desired.  Yield: 6 servings

One serving without topping = 210 calories, 6 gr. fat (4 saturated), 45 mg sodium, 37 carb, 2 fiber, 2 protein




Print Friendly and PDF



               Mix it up Monday

6 comments :

  1. Super Yummy! Enjoy your blog-cation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the growing up with it suggestion. I grew up with it and love it. I have been working with rhubarb too....
    This sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsha, this is a perfect recipe for me to use with some of those 20 lb.s rhubarb I cut up last week!

    Have fun & cant wait to hear the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice change from the apple crisp I'm used to making! We're big strawberry fans here so I'm sure we'd love this! :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly