Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Favorite Asparagus Dish


ASPARAGUS AND MORE ASPARAGUS...

It's that time of year for this spring veggie!
My hubby doesn't do a lot in the kitchen, but every year he buys a 5 gallon bucket of fresh picked asparagus from a local farmer, and then helps me put it up in the freezer.

I really appreciate his help too, and would hate to do it all myself.


We began by bending the stalks - they break naturally where the tough part begins - then filled the sink with water and washed them.  Then I sorted them by size - blanched a bunch at a time, plunged them into cold water (I didn't do this last year, and they turned out much softer) then let them cool on a cookie sheet like this.

Depending on the size of the stalk, I blanched them in boiling water from
1-1/2 - 3 minutes.

After they cooled, hubby put them in vaccum pack bags.  He loves doing things like that, and I'm so thankful!  He also loves to carve meat.  He'll bring home a big pork loin, cut it into pieces, and freeze them.

HE'S A KEEPER FOR SURE!! 

(For many reasons far beyond this!)



Then I made one of my favorite vegetable dishes for dinner that night.

A friend made this for me many years ago and it was definitely LOVE AT FIRST BITE!


I could eat a plateful of this for my meal!

This recipe can be found on page 32 in my cookbook. *-*


ASPARAGUS CASSEROLE

1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
4 Tb. butter or margarine, melted
2 (15 ozs) cans asparagus spears, drained
(or about 2 cups fresh cooked - el dente)
{I always cut the spears into pieces for easier serving}
1 (8 ozs) can sliced water chestnuts, optional
2 - 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
(I prefer more)
1/2 c. evaporated (or 2%) milk
1 (10 ozs) can cream of mushroom soup

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9" square baking dish.  In small bowl, mix cracker crumbs with butter; place half in bottom of dish. Layer asparagus, water chestnuts and chopped eggs on top of crumbs. In small bowl, mix milk and soup; pour over top.  Sprinkle remaining cracker crumbs on top.  Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly.

YUMMY! YUMMY! YUMMY!

5 comments :

  1. Wow! What a great post, Marsha! Your recipe looks yummy! I have never seen fresh asparagus in my neck of the woods. It must taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea with the vacuum packing. I have one of those, and it just sits and collects dust! Thanks for reminding me to get it out and use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's a lot of asparagus....And it wonderful you such good help. I have your cookbook, so I know right where to find that recipe. I have a mushroom hater in the house, so I will have to use cream of chicken, or maybe even cream of asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant get this fresh cut out of the ground here in Nevada. However I do love to purchase the some what fresh from the store. Now I will have another recipe to make, just for asparagus!

    Thanks, enjoy your "girls" trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! You have some fantastic recipes on your blog! I am going to have to try a few! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly