Sunday, July 3, 2011

Lemon/Blueberry Biscuits & Peach/Blueberry Crisp


I LOVE BLUEBERRIES!

And they're sooo good for you! They're loaded with vitamins and are high in fiber and low in fat. Recent studies tell us that of all fresh fruits and vegetables, blueberries provide the most health-protecting antioxidants, those valuable elements which prevent cancer-causing cell damage and may limit the changes wrought by age related diseases.


When a friend served me this dish, warm from the oven, topped with ice cream, I knew I had to have the recipe. It's one among many delicious recipes in my cookbook "Recipes & Recollections from The Better Baker".

What a delightful combination the peaches are with the blueberries. Peaches are great for your skin too.


PEACH-BLUEBERRY CRISP

 
3 - 4 peaches, about 1-1/2#, peeled and sliced into wedges
2 c. blueberries, cleaned
1 hp. TB. cornstarch
2 TB. lemon juice
1/3 c. sugar
2/3 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. light brown sugar
5 TB. (unsalted) butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 2.5 qt. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine peaches, blueberries, cornstarch, lemon juice and sugar; set aside. In small bowl, combine flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; stir in brown sugar, then butter, mixing by hand until blended and crumbly. Spread fruit mixture in prepared baking dish and sprinkle with oatmeal mixture. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping.

Yield: 6 - 7 servings



I began making this recipe many years ago. I found it in a Taste of Home magazine.

It's deliciously wonderful.  If you choose to make these sugar free/fat free...no one will guess. They are healthy nibbles of yumminess!

I think the marriage of lemon and blueberry is a perfect match....and that resulting thought is expressed beautifully in this biscuit.

Oh...another thing that I adore about this recipe is that you stir it by hand. No need to get out the mixer and dirty the beaters. 

It's easy to make and very tasty.

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and add the blended wet ingredients, then stir.  I love using my curved spatula...or spoonula, as Rachel Ray calls it.


I enjoyed some warm biscuits and hot tea in the middle of the afternoon!  Such pampering!


LEMON BLUEBERRY BISCUITS
(From The Better Baker)

2 c. all purpose flour (I replaced 1/3 c. with whole wheat)
1/3 c. sugar (I used Splenda)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 carton (8 ozs) lemon yogurt
(I only had vanilla, so I added a tsp. or lemon flavoring to yogurt)
1 egg, lightly beaten (or 2 egg whites)
1/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
(I've substituted liquid Butter Buds to make this totally fat free)
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
(I like a little more lemon 'zing', so I add a little more lemon flavoring even when I use lemon yogurt)

GLAZE:
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 Tb. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel

Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Combine yogurt, egg, butter and lemon peel; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in blueberries. Drop by tablespoonsful onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake 15 - 18 minutes or until lightly browned. (Remember the Splenda 'rule'...it bakes faster). Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm biscuits.

Yield: 1 dozen 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly