Thursday, October 6, 2011

Spiced Apple-Squash Soup

I love the flavor combo of apples & squash.


This is a delicious easy soup that will warm your body and soul.  I found it at Pillsbury's website.  You may want to double it as this recipe makes only two generous (1-3/4 c. each) servings.

 I used fat free half and half cream instead of the whipping cream, and added about 1/3 cup.

I also did it on top of the stove instead of in the slow cooker.

Actually, I first cooked the squash in the microwave, as I always do. Poke holes in it (so it doesn't explode!) and cook for about 12 - 15 minutes, then longer if needed. (A knife should slip easily into the skin if done).

Let stand about 10 minutes to finish cooking through, then cut in half to cool several minutes. Scoop out the seeds and the skin should easily come away from the meat of the squash.

This was an extra large squash and it took about 20+ minutes to cook through.

 I cooked the apple and onion together - then finished it off by adding the rest of the ingredients. Use either an immersion blender or your food processor (be careful the heat doesn't blow the lid off!) to make it smooth...or chunky if you prefer.


I just LOVE that touch of nutmeg that makes an awesome flavor combination with the other ingredients.

It tastes just like FALL!

SPICED APPLE-SQUASH SOUP

2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 3/4 lb)
1/2 large apple, peeled, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup apple juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
Pinch ground ginger
2 tablespoons whipping cream
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley, optional

Spray 1 1/2- to 2 1/2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix all ingredients except whipping cream and parsley. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours. Blend soup in cooker with immersion blender, or blend soup in batches in blender container on low speed and return to cooker. Stir in whipping cream. Sprinkle each serving with parsley. This soup freezes well. Freeze in individual portions to reheat for quick lunches.

2 comments :

  1. I've never made anything like this, but I think The Mister and I would love it! Writing squash down on my grocery list right now! ;) Thanks, dear, for another yummy looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I can't bring myself to try squash soup. But flavored with apple juice? I might just have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly