Friday, December 2, 2011

Pinwheel Jello Flowers

(PSSST!  My Butternut Squash Bake was featured at this linky party this week - yippeee!  Check it out...other delicious recipes there I MUST try soon...A Themed Baker's Sunday - Imagine that!)

 A BAKER'S Sunday!! *-*

Onto the recipe of the day...

This is such a FUN recipe!

I made these lovely 'bouquets' for our Thanksgiving table centerpieces.

I've also made them for wedding showers and graduation open houses.


It's easy to use a color theme if need be, or just make it colorful
in the ways you want.

Having green and red 'flowers' for the holidays would add a nice touch.

They're easier to make than you probably think....the hardest part is getting folks to EAT THEM!

Seems no one wants to destroy the 'bouquet'.

Two simple ingredients...three, if you want to count the water.

Jello & Marshmallows!

(Gotta tell you a quick story here...I use to be a cook for a Christian school and preschool.  I would fix lunch for up to 70 students and teachers.  One time when I typed up a new grocery list, without thinking, I automatically typed MARSHAmallows.  The staff loved to tease me and often called me MarshAmallow after that=)

I made a smaller plateful for the kid's table too.  I think they
only ate one, but there was a lot of curiosity & conversation about them anyway.


 Just remember that sugar free jello doesn't work for this recipe...it's gotta be the sugar full. 

Give 'em a try.  They're impressive because they look like they take a lot of work, but in actuality, they don't. 

PINWHEEL JELLO FLOWERS  

1 (3 ozs) box jello, regular, not sugar free
1/2 c. hot water
12 lg. marshmallows or 1-1/2 c. mini marshmallows

In a large microwaveable bowl, place jello along with hot water.  Microwave for 1 minute on high; stir until dissolved, then add marshmallows; microwave 1-1/2 minutes more, then stir until totally melted.  This takes a few minutes. Pour the mixture into a greased 8" square pan.  (I normally use oil). Refrigerate until set - about 45 minutes.  The marshmallows will rise to the top. 

Cut into strips about 1/4 - 1/2" wide, and roll up into a 'flower'.


The mixture is pretty strong so don't worry about pulling on it. Just be gentle as possible.  I lay it on a piece of waxed paper, then roll it up and add it to my 'bouquet'. 

To make 'stems' and 'leaves';
dissolve 1 sm. box of green jello with 3/4 c. boiling water.  Stir until dissolved. Pour into oiled 8" square pan or pie plate; chill until set.  Cut into desired pieces and add to your bouquet.

Don't worry about them being perfect - Only God can do that! *^*


They really are quite tasty - if you can get your family/guests to eat them!

I MUST ADD A NOTE HERE....

One of my sis-in-loves tried this and I had to share her ideas and picture.  She put waxed paper in the bottom of the pan, lightly greased it, and after it set, took it out of the pan and cut the strips with a pizza cutter!  Seems like she's always teaching me something!  =)


This was the comment she left me at Facebook....
Really ez and very quick work with the pizza cutter too! I'll bet a mini leaf cookie cutter would make some great leaves too. Thanks for posting, I'm sure I'll make this again!!! =)



Mixitup


11 comments :

  1. I am telling you woman, you are a genius! This is too cute! Pinning this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I sure hope to see these on TTT sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are sooo cute! They look tasty too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...I've never seen this done before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea. These are great. I haven't seen this idea anywhere before either. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OhMyGoodness!! There are GORGEOUS, and PRETTY, and Unique, and YUMMY looking! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just got some jello might have to try that. New follower from freedom hop. Love for you to follow back when you get a chance ;)
    http://naptimeshopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are just too clever! These are so cute and I can even make them. (I am not much of an artist). Great tips and thank you so very much for sharing at Freedom Fridays! I so appreciate your support at my party.
    Have a fabulous week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. when i made these I used a cookie sheet and rolled it tightly then sliced the roll with a hot knife....the kids at my sons' school couldn't get enough of them.

    I love the flower idea...it is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why did I miss this one...can't wait to get the g'children to make these for our Slumber Night Party...Blesseings, K

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly