Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cream of Asparagus Soup {Healthy Options}


Since I've been working at getting myself in 'gear' for healthier eating, I've been cleaning out, sorting through, pitching, and organizing my many many recipes.  I've had them in bags in drawers, under the bed, etc. as the little cupboard in the bottom of my hutch is already full of books and recipes!

{And that's only one of 3 cupboards that has cookbooks/recipes}.

I'm so thankful I tried this delicious recipe.  It caught my eye because I had just reviewed the items in our freezer the day before, and thought about using some of our fresh frozen asparagus for soup. AND...I had a little chunk of Monterey Jack that needed to be eaten!

This was very tasty - hubby commented how much he enjoyed it too.  It's a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies!

If you'd like a little more 'body' to your soup, add some rice. MM!


CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP

2 pkgs. (12 ozs each) frozen cut asparagus
1/4 c. butter
(I used Smart Balance Buttery Sticks)
2 Tb. all purpose flour
(I used 3 TB. white whole wheat)
4 c. 2% (or skim) milk
1 c. (4 ozs) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
(I cut back a little and it was still wonderful)
4 - 5 drops hot pepper sauce
1 tsp. salt
3/4 - 1 tsp. pepper

Prepare asparagus according to pkg. directions; drain, cut into pieces and set aside.  In large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth, gradually add milk (best to use a whisk). Bring to a boil, cook and stir for about 2 minutes or until thickened.  Cool slightly.

Pour half the milk mixture into a blender; add half of asparagus. Cover and process until blended. Strain and discard pulp. (I did not do this as it was smooth & not stringy). Return soup to the saucepan.  Repeat with remaining milk mixture and asparagus. Stir in cheese, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil).

Yield: 4 - 5 servings

Serve with a sandwich and you'll find it makes for a delicious and filling meal.

Linked to Fit & Fabulous Friday

4 comments :

  1. This would be great comfort food on a snowy day like today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! We're thinking a little bit alike...I made cream of broccoli soup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup would be so comforting specially after the snow haul here yesterday night!Thanks so much for visiting my post and leaving me such encouraging words,dear Marsha - what better gift for a blogger!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this soup!! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly