Monday, September 10, 2012

(Chocolate) Cottage Cheese Cookies {Really!}

I know....you are probably wondering...HUH??

This wonderful cookie is a chocolate-y, fudge-y and oh so tasty treat. No one would ever guess they have cottage cheese in them.

WHODA THUNK IT?  COOKIES WITH PROTEIN!!! 

You can see the cottage cheese in the dough, but not in the baked cookie. It adds great moistness to this delectable cookie. 

I first tasted these when I worked with a gal, Joyce DiStefano, in a Christian school in Washington state back in the early '80's. She was the kindergarten teacher and I was her aide...'sidekick'.  We had a blast!

She made these every year for Christmas...and regularly began her baking in September.

(I got to visit with Joyce when I went to Spokane for a visit a year ago last May!  She's 80 and as fun as ever).

Anyway - give these a try. They do freeze well and as you can see, are very pretty too.

The recipe can easily be cut in half because one batch makes 8 - 9 dozen. 


COTTAGE CHEESE COOKIES 


1-1/2 c. shortening (Crisco)

3-1/2 c. white sugar
4 eggs
1 pint (2 c.) small curd cottage cheese
4 Tb. vanilla (really!)
5-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. baking cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. nuts, optional 
Powdered sugar 


Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, combine shortening and sugar until fluffy; beat in eggs until smooth.  Add cottage cheese and vanilla; blend well. 



Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together then add gradually as you blend mixtures together. 



Place about 1 c. powdered sugar in a bowl. Drop balls of dough by tablespoonsful into powdered sugar, then place on greased cookie sheet. Bake 11 - 13 minutes. Don't overbake!



The center will be fudgey and they are absolutely amazing to savor while warm...so get yourself a tall glass of milk and enjoy. 


Yield: 8 - 9 dozen 

(If you don't want to bake them all at once, cover the dough and place in the fridge up to a week to bake later...bring to room temperature before baking...or freeze the dough if you prefer; thaw and bake whenever you have time).  

Linked to Whatcha Whipped up Wednesday
      Thursday's Treasures
    Weekend Potluck
         Scrumptious Sunday
         Ingredient Spotlight - Baking Cocoa


8 comments :

  1. They look so yummy! These are intriguing enough...I want to make them and see how delicious they look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I've never heard of cottage cheese in a cookie ... and I did say "huh?!" when I read the title! They look divine though! Pinning them to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so pretty and they have to be kinda good for you with the cottage cheese in them, right??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting recipe. Love the idea of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family made these when I was a little girl in post falls Idaho and I'm now 52. There still are favorite cookie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandma used to make these all the time back in the 70s, so delicious and so happy to find the recipe to now make for my own grandkids!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly