Thursday, November 29, 2012

Overnight French Toast

                                                                          

This is such an easy and irresistible dish! 

I fixed it for our family's Thanksgiving brunch. We normally get together the Saturday after the holiday. 

After seeing this at my buddy Kay's Cooking with K blog, I knew I had to try it. 

Having something that you can make ahead and just pull out of the fridge and bake in the morning is right up my alley. 

This has a brown sugar base and the texture of the Texas toast is creamy and so delicious. 

If you check out Kay's post, she shares a warm honey syrup recipe too, but I didn't make that.  Too many of us with 'sugar' problems. Most used the sugar free syrup I set out, but I didn't use anything more to top it. I even used part Splenda Brown Sugar Blend in the base and no one ever guessed it didn't have as much  'real' stuff in it!

The photo was taken when I finally got in line and this is all that was left!
My daughter said "Mom, next time you need to make TWO dishes of that yummy french toast!" 

This would make a fabulous overnight dish for any upcoming holiday feast. 


OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST 

12 slices Texas Toast
1/2 c. butter
1/2 - 3/4 c. brown sugar 
(I used brown sugar splenda to equal heaping 1/2 c.) 
6 eggs
(I used 5 eggs and 2 egg whites) 
1-1/2 c. milk, divided 
(I used 1%)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 - 1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. sugar, divided
(I used half splenda) 
1/2 c. powdered sugar (optional)

In 9" X 13" oblong baking dish, melt butter in oven or microwave. After butter is melted, mix brown sugar until blended.  Smooth out the brown sugar in the bottom of the dish. Lay 6 slices of Texas Toast on top and set aside.

In 2 c. measuring cup, add 3/4 c. milk and beat 3 eggs, vanilla and 1/4 c. sugar until blended well. Pour over the bread layer. Place 6 more slices of Texas Toast on top. In same 2 c. measuring cup, add 1 c. milk and beat in 3 eggs, cinnamon & 
1/4 c. sugar until eggs are incorporated.  Pour over layer of bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, preheat oven to 350. Uncover and bake for 45 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut each slice in half and serve with powdered sugar, jam or maple syrup. 


(I'm thinking next time I might even tuck a few fresh raspberries or blueberries between the layers!)

6 comments :

  1. This really tasted great! I loved the crunch from the syrupy goodness on the bottom. delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that picture--proof of how good it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!! I have to make overnight french toast! It sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my! This sounds so good..( and I havent had breakfast yet, so you are making me hungry ) =)
    saving to Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to have to make two batches when I make another one too...you are making me hungry!! Blessings, K

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly