Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Perfect Poppyseed Bread



I can hardly believe I have never posted this recipe before!!! 

It's definitely a FAMILY FAVORITE!

This quick bread is terrific for gift giving....recipients will love you forever! 

I got the recipe from an aunt many years ago and have made this every holiday season since.  It has almond extract which makes it so tasty.  If you don't care for almond extract, you can make it without, but I can't say how good it is because I've not ever done that. 

One of my brother-in-loves doesn't think it's Christmas until he gets his own loaf of poppyseed bread. 

I SO love the orange juice/almond extract glaze you pour over the top when it comes from the oven.  It not only adds flavor, but moistness too. 

Please...do yourself a favor...don't wait to make this tasty treat!!! 


PERFECT POPPYSEED BREAD 

1 c. vegetable oil + 2 Tb.
(I use half applesauce) 
3 eggs
1-3/4 c. white sugar
(that's reduced from the 2-1/4 c. in original recipe!)
1-1/2 c. (1%) milk
1-1/2 tsp. almond extract
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
(I always add a little more)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 3 - 9" X 5" loaf pans or 5 - 4" X 2" mini loaf pans. 



In large bowl, combine oil (applesauce) & eggs and whisk until well blended and fluffy.  Add sugar; mix well. Stir in remaining bread ingredients until just blended. The batter will be very thin. Feel free to use your mixer if you want. 




Pour into prepared pans.  Bake large loaves for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake small loaves for 30 minutes.

(I try to check 5 minutes before time is up to ensure a moist bread). 



Remove bread from oven and immediately poke holes in top with a wooden pick or large fork. Pour glaze evenly over each loaf.  Let stand 15 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely. 

GLAZE: 
1 Tb. butter or margarine
3/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. orange juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract

In small saucepan combine all ingredients and heat, over low, until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. 


3 comments :

  1. Mmmmm this does sound absolutely perfect! It so nice to make something every year that people love and expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a bread very similar to this and it is a favorite of ours, too! I haven't made it in a while. I must do something about that! Yours looks so yummy...moist, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, totally saving this! I've never made poppy seed bread that didn't have lemon flavor. Almond sounds good, and the glaze! Perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly