Sunday, July 7, 2013

Blueberry & Caramel Coffee Cake {using Grands biscuits}

My oh my!

This was a doozy of a breakfast for us on July 4th!

Hubby even raved a few times about HOW delicious it was.  And it was easy to make too.

I LOVE using canned biscuits. Since I had the Grands Reduced-Fat Golden Wheat biscuits already on hand, that's what I used, and we thought it was fantastic! 

I used less butter and oatmeal but it was pretty close to perfect as it was. 
I never would have thought about it, but the oatmeal really does add a great crunch to this otherwise...'soft' dish. 

I was so happy to find this recipe at Lori Ann's Food and Fam
And so glad I didn't cut back on the blueberry amount. It was SOOO tasty.


BLUEBERRY & CARAMEL COFFEE CAKE 

1/2 c. packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon 
1 can (17 ozs) Grands (Reduced-Fat) Golden Wheat canned biscuits
3 Tb. butter, melted
3/4 c. quick oats, divided
1-1/2 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 c. white sugar 
2 Tb. butter, cut into small pieces 

Preheat oven to 375*. Generously grease 9" X 13" (I used a wee bit smaller dish - an 8" X 11") baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  Separate dough into 10 biscuits; cut into quarters (& if you have the time, cut then once again in half. (They really ARE GRAND!=)  Arrange in single layer as much as possible in the bottom of the baking dish. 

In a small bowl, melt 3 Tb. butter; combine with brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour over biscuits; sprinkle with 1/2 c. dry oats.

In medium bowl, combine blueberries and sugar until coated evenly. Spoon over oats and biscuits. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c. oats; top with pieces of butter. 

Bake about 25 - 30 minutes or until coffee cake is golden brown. Serve warm. 

TIP: Reheat in oven, not microwave 

Linked to
Gooseberry Patch Roundup - Rise & Shine
Weekend Potluck
Meal Plan Monday


6 comments :

  1. Oh my! This sounds so easy and delicious!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, Marsha! I know I would love this, too. I do t buy canned biscuits that often, but I will for this. What a fabulous breakfast treat. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and enticing, just the way I like my breakfast, Marsha.

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds YUMMY! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so tickled that you made my recipe, Marsha! So glad your family loved it....thanks for sharing it on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly