Thursday, July 11, 2013

EZ Spiced Chai Tea

I am a HUGE fan of chai...and remember the exact moment I tasted my first cup.

IT.WAS.LIFECHANGING! 

I love the chai mixes...and have a tasty homemade recipe for 
Best Ever Vanilla or Spiced Chai Mix , but if I get a 'hankerin' for this sweet, spicy, creamy tea, and don't have the mix on hand, then this is what I make. 

Even when the temps warm up, I do want a warm cuppa 'something' to begin my day.  My sweetie regularly makes the coffee, and he even 'fixes' mine for me and brings it to me as we start the morning by watching the news together...yep, he's a keeper for sure! 

I found this simple recipe in the "Busy People's Diabetic Cookbook", authored
by Dawn Hall - whom I have been privileged to hear speak 2 times at a local Ladies Day. Dawn has written many Low fat cookbooks, and she only lives an hour away from me here in NW Ohio. 

I adapted the recipe just a bit to suit my own taste buds...feel free to do the same.

If you've never tried chai before, I hope you will.  I really do love Spiced Chai the best (there's vanilla, raspberry, chocolate, spiced, and more)...and the first time I tasted it, I was with a group of ladies...we had to pass my cup around the table...and when they took a sniff of the wonderful steam coming off my cup, several commented "It smells like Christmas!". 

I used a vanilla chai bag to make this...any kind of chai tea bag would be great!


EZ SPICED CHAI TEA

1 c. water
1 (vanilla) chai tea bag
2 - 3 Tb. fat free half and half
(I like mine real creamy so I use 3 Tb.)
1 - 2 packets Truvia sweetener
(each packet is = 2 teaspoons)
several dashes pumpkin pie spice
fat free whipped cream from a can

Heat water in a mug in the microwave for 1 minute & 20 seconds. Remove water from microwave and place tea bag in the water.  Place a teaspoon on top of tea bag to keep it immersed in the water. Let it steep for at least 2 minutes. Remove the tea bag. 

Stir in half and half, sweetener, and a couple dashes of pumpkin pie spice, stirring until everything is dissolved.

Microwave for 30 - 45 seconds. Top off with whipped cream.  Sprinkle a couple more dashes of pumpkin pie spice. 

Yield: 1 serving

Nutritional value: Calories: 44; Total Fat: 0 gr; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Carbohydrate: 
9 gr.; Dietary Fiber: 0 gr.; Protein: 2 gr.; Sodium: 35 mg. 


7 comments :

  1. I love sweet spiced chai tea hot, or iced. It's comforting, and the aroma...oh the aroma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crazy for Chai Tea, too, Marsha! That Bigelow vanilla chai is fabulous and I'm picky about my chai. The whipped cream on top is the perfect touch. Wish we could share a cup together. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get your tea bags? At the super market? I've never looked for chai tea bags but I LOVE chai and will have to hunt some down! Have you tried it iced? I think that's what I'd try for summer. Craving!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOOOOOVE Chai Tea! Thank you so much for this recipe. I can't wait to make it. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly