Friday, July 19, 2019

Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies

I know...seems silly to be posting a new baked cookie recipe in the middle of summer.  (Save them for a rainy day!)

Hear me out please...

To me, these are AH.MA.ZING cookies...


Things I'd like you to know before making this sweet treat....

-Brown sugar gives them a 'caramel-y' flavor
-You don't need a mixer, these are mixed by hand!
-The batch only makes 20 cookies
The recipe calls for 2 (TWO!) teaspoons of vanilla extract - YAY!
-The dough needs to be refrigerated at least 2 hours before baking 
-You can make ahead because the dough and the baked cookie freeze nicely!

I just found myself having to dig to find this recipe when I'm ready to make it, 
but if I can put it on my blog, I'll know right where to find it. 

This is a new recipe I found at Sally's Baking Addiction a while back..if you've never visited her before, please do...and while you're there, check out her awesome recipes like... 





plus she has a long list of Baking Tips so you're sure to find something to help you in the kitchen!

I've learned to trust her recipes....and love her videos.  Sally reminds me of 2 other friends, who remind me of each other, so I feel like she's a trusted friend! 

I hope you go wild over these cookies like I did! 


CHEWY BROWN SUGAR COOKIES 

2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 - 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. UNsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly** (See tip below)
1-1/4 c. packed (dark) brown sugar
(If you only have light, add 1 TB. molasses to your dough to make it 'dark')
1 large egg, room temperature
(I put the egg in warm water for a few minutes)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 c. granulated sugar, for rolling 

In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt; set aside. 

In medium bowl, whisk melted butter and brown sugar together.  (TIP: I melt the butter in a large glass measuring cup, then can easily mix in other ingredients). Stir in egg, then vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients; mix together with large spoon (I like to use a curved rubber spatula). The dough will be very thick, but soft. Cover ahd dough and chill for 2 hours, or up to 3 days. This dough MUST be chilled. 

If you've chilled the dough longer than 2 hours, allow to soften at room temperature for about 10 minutes before baking. 

Preheat oven to 325. Line baking sheets with parchment paper (I love my silicone mats). 

Pour granulated sugar in bowl. Using just less than 2 Tablespoonsful of dough, roll into a ball, then roll in the sugar. Place 3" apart on baking sheets. 

Bake for 8 - 9 minutes; remove from oven and gently press down on the top of each cookie with the back of your metal spatula. Place back into the oven for 2 - 4 minutes. They will appear to be undone when you remove them.  Allow to cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes (up to 10 minutes if you have time). Transfer to cooling rack to completely cool.  

Per Sally: Baked Cookies freeze nicely up to 3 months.  Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temp before serving.  Unbaked cookie dough balls (before rolling in sugar) will freeze nicely up to 3 months. 

Also...COOKIES WILL STAY FRESH AT ROOM TEMPERATURE (IN SEALED CONTAINER) FOR ONE WEEK!!! 


You may also enjoy...

Browned Butter Blondies



Caramel Shortbread Squares






Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments :

  1. Ooh I LOVE chewy cookies!!!! I will have to try these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I think they'll be perfect with a cup of tea. Thanks for popping in. XO

      Delete

Printfriendly