Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Glazed Honey Spice Bars (No mixer needed)

I was so excited to find this tasty recipe at Pinterest (MY Pinterest boards)...originating from Jennifer Cooks blog.

So I ran (honestly, it was more of a brisk walk) to the kitchen to dig up
my old recipe of a similar treat that I haven't made in decades!


I guess it's one of those recipes that 'fell by the wayside' among all the new recipes I love trying. 

My 'original' recipe did not use honey, so I tried it this time, and added cloves
to the recipe, and just fell in love all over again. My hubby's cousin is a bee collector and he gives us quarts of local honey often, so I am well stocked!

(Did you know taking local honey is great to help you during allergy season?) 

I also used brown sugar instead of white. 

I love that you use 1 bowl and you don't even have to drag out the mixer! 

I could have easily eaten the whole panfull by myself..they are thin after all.  
*-*

Perfectly spiced and perfect with a cup of coffee or tea...or milk!

The glaze has an unusual ingredient...just a tad of salad dressing!
(Don't knock if til you've tried it...you won't even know!) 


My original recipe made an 8" X 8" pan of treats, and with only 2 of us in this house, I love being able to have a smaller portion 'anything', so that's what I made...

Recipe can easily be doubled, so get to the kitchen and whip these up today.
You won't be sorry! 

You can just as nicely roll them in powdered sugar while they're
warm instead of making the glaze.  They are fabulous either way!


GLAZED HONEY SPICE BARS 

6 Tb. vegetable oil (or melted butter) 
1/4 c. honey
6 Tb. brown sugar 
1 c. all purpose flour 
couple dashes of salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. chopped pecans


Glaze: 

1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. miracle whip salad dressing
1-1/2 tsp. water 

Preheat the oven to 350*. Spray 8" square pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside. 

In medium bowl, combine all ingredients; whisking until blended. 

Pour into prepared pan; bake for 17 minutes, or until top bounces back when touched.  

When you remove from the oven, cool about 3 minutes, then press down on the bars with a metal spatula. (Gives it a different texture...I LOVE it!)

In a small bowl, whisk glaze ingredients and pour over bars, spreading
evenly.  You may want to roll them in powdered sugar (while warm) instead. 


Linked to 
Meal Plan Monday






Print Friendly and PDF




3 comments :

  1. Mmmmmmm....I would love these, Marsha!! I love spicy cookies, bars, and breads, and these sound perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - these really are great. I love the thin layer of spices! Glad you stopped by...one of these days we'll get together in person. =)

      Delete
  2. trying these..but doubling the ingredients for a thicker bar. Hopefully they turn out!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly