Sunday, April 10, 2022

Pretty Pink Flamingo Cake

I recently saw this amazing recipe (again) and since I'm in Florida and 
my home and yard are decorated with all kinds of flamingo decor, I thought 
this would be perfect to take to a recent potluck in the RV park where I live for the winter. 

(The cake was actually thicker than it looks!)


(hover over photo to pin) 

It's a Southern Plate original, but I changed just a couple of 
things (which I will tell you as we go)....

What a F-U-N cake!  Big kids as well as little ones will love the
bright color and the combo of cherries and pineapple in the 
frosting...made with Cool Whip. 

Do hope you enjoy soon - it would be awesome for a pool party,
picnic, or summer potluck!  AND...you can make it ahead!!!

It's all very simple, delicious and refreshing, so let's get to it....

(hover over photo to pin) 

PINK FLAMINGO CAKE 

CAKE: 

1 box (15 ozs) white cake mix 
1 sm. box (4-serving size) cherry jello, dry 
3/4 c. vegetable oil 
(or use 1/2 c. applesauce and 1/4 c. oil) 
3/4 c. buttermilk
3 eggs
1 tsp. real vanilla
(I added for a 'pop' of flavor) 

FROSTING: 

8 ozs. crushed pineapple, with juice
(I used half a 20 ozs. can)
1 sm. (4-serv. size) instant (french) vanilla pudding mix
16 ozs. Cool Whip, thawed  
(I used 12 ozs.)
8 ozs. jar maraschino cherries, chopped in half
(you may want to save a few to top the cake) 

Preheat oven to 350*. 

Spray a 9" X 13" baking pan with non-stick spray. 

In a large mixing bowl, add cake mix, jello, (applesauce, if using), oil, buttermilk,
eggs and vanilla.  Beat with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes
until smooth and well blended.  Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30 - 35 minutes 
until cake pops up when touched.  Cool completely. 

In medium bowl, place the pineapple and juice in a bowl; sprinkle dry pudding mix over the top and
stir until blended.  Stir in whipped topping. Add chopped cherries and 
some cherry juice until 'frosting' turns pink, about 1/4 c. juice.  

Spread topping evenly over the cake. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days before 
serving.  




This is the doormat at my front door at my FL paradise...




Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments :

  1. I first saw this on Southern Plate, too. Yours looks so pretty on that blue plate, and is perfect for your flamingo themed home. I’ll bet everyone loved it at the potluck. 🦩 💕🦩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much for stopping by and brightening my day. 😘

      Delete
  2. Yum, the cake sounds delicious! Flamingos around your home? How cute is that!!!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly