Monday, April 6, 2009

Welcome to The Better Baker!

I’m thrilled to be able to connect with folks online - this is a new experience for me, and at this point, is rather overwhelming, but with my daughter’s assistance and expertise, I hope to make this an inviting place for you to visit often.

I really do enjoy cooking in general. My mom gave me freedom in the kitchen when I was growing up, I married a man who is willing to eat anything, and we both love hosting company, so my ‘career’ in the kitchen has snowballed over the years, and I’m excited about how my outreaches are being expanded.

I’ve had a few recipes published by the American Profile publication. I won $100 in 2006 for my Butternut Squash Casserole. It is one of two in the AP "Blue Ribbon Winners" cookbook. I also have five recipes in their "Hometown Recipes for the Holidays" cookbook. I truly do enjoy time in the kitchen.

I even like washing dishes.

I recently began typing up recipes to have my own cookbook published...it is a time consuming process, but it feels good to get the ball rolling toward making that lifetime goal a dream come true.

I’ve also had a short testimony of God’s provision for us in a needy time, published in "Christian Miracles". The format is similar to Chicken Soup for the Soul books, with many authors in one book. I enjoy opportunities to speak publicly.

But I have to say that I’m not a professional speaker - only a professional talker!!

After being recognized in our local newspaper for my national recipe ‘fame’ through American Profile, I have recently been asked by a local newspaper to write a monthly column...and include recipes. Appropriately - the column is entitled "The Better Baker".

I married my high school sweetie, Ron "Bean" Baker. We have endured some, but mostly enjoyed, our 41 years of wedded bliss. We have been blessed with 3 children, and 7 precious grandchildren. Being Nana and Papa are the biggest blessings in our lives....and we appreciate the thought...
GRANDKIDS MAKE LIFE GRAND!


Ron is 100% disabled from his exposure to Agent Orange - he served 3 tours in Vietnam as a proud Marine. He’s diabetic, so the last few years, I have leaned more toward healthier dishes, and low/no sugar recipes.

Something I’m fond of are quotes - some would call them ‘wall plaques’, but I appreciate them, and hope to share some with you often. One of my favorites is...
LIFE IS SHORT...EAT DESSERT FIRST.


P.S. - You can probably find new posts from me about once a week just to get warmed up.  Later, when I'm an "expert" at this, I'll be posting more often!  Thanks for visiting - and please feel free to leave comments and questions!

12 comments :

  1. Hey Marsha, You're just popping up all over the place! I like the set up. Everything looks great! : ) I look forward to reading more in the future.
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so homey and comfortable...so like you! I just love it and can't wait until next week to read more! Keep up the great job and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marsha! Welcome to the blogging world! I'm a new blogger as well and am currently doing a blogging internship with your daughter. Sounds like you've found your passion and I hope you stick with it! I'm adding you to my reader because I've heard you're an amazing cook and I need all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello and welcome to blogging. I look forward to seeing and hearing about what's cooking in your kitchen.

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of You and this blog is wonderful thing from you. I can't wait to try some of your yummy recipes. I look forward to seeing many, many, more to come. You are so blessed and when I talk to you it just radiates from the inside out.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristal the PistolJune 5, 2009 at 9:31 AM

    Marsha Farsha,
    You never cease to amaze me with your new endeavors. Are you going to include a recipe for "Brown Bobbies" for those fortunate enough to have a machine? Those of us who do not have a machine at least have a friend who occasionally makes them for us.... As I have said before, us Hillbilly Girls don't have kitchen talents....
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew you'd eventually do this. Best of luck and you can bet I'll be reading your blog as often as possible. I love seeing your recipes that you send from time to time. I have no idea what a "Brown Bobbie" is though. That was from Kristal the Pistol. Happy baking. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! You're going to be great at this! It is so good of you to do this and take the time to help some of us that are not so creative in the kitchen! Not to mention I always enjoy hearing your pearly words of wisdom! Blessings to you, my friend! Hang on! I think the Lord is taking you on quite a ride!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You MUST tell everyone about your Brown Bobbies....they are just too special to miss out on....maybe even a pic of the machine and the Brown Bobbie! YOU GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Ma', looking good! If you need a guinea pig for your recipes and new dishes, you know I'm always available to lend a hand! In the words of Gramps, I'm proud of you. Have fun on here, but not too much and always remember, "Don't do anything you wouldn't do if I were sitting on your shoulder!" 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. neat blog. I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marsha.....never enough time to write.........but I love you and I love to read everything you write and always love to eat everything you cook! you rock!!!!

    Looking forward to reading a few of your blogs when I can catch a few minutes here and there. Proud to be your friend way down in TEXAS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly