Thursday, July 28, 2011

Microwave Corn on the Cob - The BEST!

 (To pin, hover over photos)

Seriously!!

This is how we always fix our fresh corn on the cob.

We learned this 'trick' a long time ago, and continue to think it's the best way to prepare it.

One time, my dear hubby processed a whole bushel of corn on the cob, like this - 4 at a time! - while I was at work...then cut it all off the cobs for the freezer.

Bless his sweet sweet heart!

He just loves it prepared this way.

Can you imagine how surprised that made me?  WOW!!!

This is all you do...

I usually take off a couple/few of the outer layers of husk, and tear off as much of the silk as I can from the outside, but you want several layers of husk left on.

Wet a paper towel and lay it in the bottom of your microwave.  Lay 4 ears on top of the towel.


(Our microwave is 1200 watts, just so you know)

We turn it on high for 4 minutes, turn the corn over on its other side, and then zap it for 4 more minutes.

Let it cool a few minutes. I get a couple of paper towels and wad up in my hand, and then begin to peel the corn holding it by the paper towel.

The silk brushes right off and you'll have some nice juicy ears to enjoy.

(U{DATE: A new 'trick' I've learned is to cut the cob off right at the bottom of the ear before cooking....shake the ear, and it pops out the bottom with very little silk on it) 




10 comments :

  1. This is such a good idea! One of those 'aha' moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only had fresh local corn once this summer. Next time I buy it, I'm going to cook it this way! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me? No big pot of boiling water? No husking it right before dinner? I think I've died and gone to heaven! I'll try this over the weekend when we get some sweet corn! Thanks, deary! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this idea! Such an easy, fast way to enjoy fresh corn! I am definitely going to try it : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I never knew you could cook corn on the cob in the microwave! I could have been saving myself some time and work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! AND I have an ear of corn in the fridge! Perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been doing this since we were young kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Done it this way for years...even freeze it wrapped in paper towels/newspaper..then microwave it for 6 minutes each side frozen. It tastes like fresh picked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favorite way to cook corn... except we wrap each ear in a wet paper towel {not in husk}.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is how we make our corn too - so easy and yum!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly