Monday, January 31, 2011

Easy 6 Can (Very Lowfat) Chicken Tortilla Soup

Since this is the last day of January - and of National Soup Month - I thought I'd 'slip' this repost in...with different pictures.  I just made this again this weekend and don't ever get tired of it.

This quick and easy soup is listed in the 'lighter choices' in my cookbook under soups/salads.

Refried Bean Soup

Since I've been posting some sweet recipes, I thought I would share a  favorite low fat recipe.  Soup always makes for a delicious meal - especially in the fall...or in the winter.   We love this one and enjoy it often.   It's a quick meal for busy families.

It only takes a few ingredients and I always keep these on hand so when I get hungry for this quick and easy soup - I'm rarin' to go!




REFRIED BEAN SOUP

chopped celery and onion to taste
2 Tb. olive oil
1-15 oz. can refried beans
1-15 oz. can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 - 8 - oz. jar salsa or 10 oz. can of rotel tomatoes, drained
1 - 15 oz. can 99% fat free chicken broth
1 -15 oz. can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 - 10-oz. can chunk chicken
(or fresh cooked)

Sautee celery and onion in oil. The veggies add a nice crunch and add nutrition. I use as many low-sodium or lowfat ingredients as possible.

Stir in refried beans first, then
gradually add broth.


Add remaining ingredients; stir and heat.

(I drained the beans in this darling mini colander - a fun gift from a sister of my heart, Lois.
She's the one who gave me this recipe a few years ago.  It's one of the most repeated recipes in my kitchen.)



Or if you're in a hurry, just mix all six canned ingredients in a large saucepan in order given and heat through.


This tasty dish is low in fat - and has 49 grams of fiber - total - in this recipe!!
1 c. = Calories: 160; fat: 3 gr.;fiber:7 gr.


It is wonderful with a grilled sandwich,  quesadilla or tortilla chips.

Enjoy every slurp!

Linked to Tuesdays at the Table
          Recipe of the Week







6 comments :

  1. Wow! 49 Grams of fiber! That's amazing! Looks super easy. I know my husband would love this! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Mexican based soup is one of my favorites. The flavors are always amazing. The nutrition facts in this recipe would definitely grab the attention of a serious dieter (which is not me). I love soup anytime of the year.
    This sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The term "low fat" is quickly becoming one of my favorites! This soup looks yummy - and fast! best of all - I have all the ingredients in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great, simple, lowfat soup! Love it! Thank you so much for the great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! It's pinned. I'm going to have to try this. Looks delish and super easy!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly