Tuesday, August 24, 2010

PEACH-BLUEBERRY CRISP - MMMMMMMMM!

I love blueberries - and they're so good for you. 


Blueberries are rich in Vitamins A, C, E and beta-carotene as well as rich in the minerals potassium, manganese, magnesium. They are very high in fiber and low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. But this is just the tip of the nutritional iceberg, for recent studies tell us that of all fresh fruits and vegetables, blueberries provide the most health-protecting antioxidants, those valuable elements which prevent cancer-causing cell damage and may limit the changes wrought by age related diseases.


When a friend served me this dish, warm from the oven, topped with ice cream, I knew I had to have the recipe.  It's one among many delicious recipes in my new cookbook "Recipes & Recollections from The Better Baker".


What a delightful combination the peaches are with the blueberries.  Peaches are great for your skin too.



PEACH-BLUEBERRY CRISP

3 - 4 peaches, about 1-1/2#, peeled and
sliced into wedges
2 c. blueberries, cleaned
1 hp. TB. cornstarch
2 TB. lemon juice
1/3 c. sugar
2/3 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. light brown sugar
5 TB. (unsalted) butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 2.5 qt. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine peaches, blueberries, cornstarch, lemon juice and sugar; set aside.  In small bowl, combine flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; stir in brown sugar, then butter, mixing by hand until blended and crumbly.   Spread fruit mixture in prepared baking dish and sprinkle with oatmeal mixture.  Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping.
Yield: 6 - 7 servings


Linked to Comfy Cuisine

3 comments :

  1. Oh...that looks wonderful! I never tried this combination before. I have only made an apple crisp. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog this morning. I *needed* this recipe *today*! :) Wow. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly