Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cheesey Vegetable Topping for Baked Potatoes

Oh Dear Blogging Friends!

I'm so excited to share this recipe with you!!!
This delicious recipe came to my mind recently while I layed awake in bed early one morning.

I anxiously RAN to the store (Yes, I did get dressed first=) and bought a couple of big taters so we could be reminded of HOW GOOD it is.

We weren't disappointed.  Nuh uh...not in the least.

Because my husband's diabetes is affected by carbs...mainly white taters and bread...I haven't made this in a while, so it tasted extra wonderful!
I'm a big cream cheese AND Velvetta fan, so this 'marriage' is just perfect for me.



Do hope you'll give it a try too.

I've heard it said that a tater gets a bad rap for the 'company' it keeps....AKA as sour cream, butter, etc. 

Let me tell you what...this is AWESOME company for your tater. *-* And it won't 'keep' long because you'll be gobbling it up...MMMM!

CHEESEY VEGETABLE TOPPING FOR BAKED TATERS
(from The Better Baker)

3 c. frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mixture, loose pack
6 strips bacon ( I used turkey bacon)
1 (8 ozs) jar cheese spread (with pimento, if desired)
(I substitute about 6 ozs. Velveeta)
1 (8 ozs) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. milk
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tb. chopped parsley, optional

Cook veggies in unsalted water until crisp-tender; drain.  Cook bacon until crisp; crumble and refrigerate if not using right away. In saucepan, combine cheese spread, cream cheese, milk and garlic powder.  Heat until melted and smooth.  Stir in vegetables and parsley. When ready to serve, stir in bacon and heat.

Makes 3-1/2 cups  (enough for about 3 - 4 lg. taters)

Hints: I like to mash my veggies a little before stirring into cheese mixture.
I top the sauce with the bacon crumbles.  If you stir it into the sauce and have leftover, it won't be crunchy.

I've never added meat to this topping, but ham comes to mind - sounds like a great flavor combo...maybe even chicken? 

I'd love to know if you experiment and do something different with this simple recipe.




Print Friendly and PDF



Linked to Full Plate Thursday,








8 comments :

  1. Oh, this looks so yummy!! Baked potatoes never get a bad rap in my book. They are one of my most favorite things to eat. And to top them with creamy cheesy goodness, that is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Marsha,
    Wow! Another great recipe to bookmark! Love these ingredients! Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious!! My kids might actually eat vegetables now:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can never go wrong if you start a recipe with potatoes! This sounds like a winner. I've become one of your followers and would love for you to follow me, as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my heck! I need this right now! Looks absolutely delish! You can't go wrong with all of those yummy ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We DO think alike. I just made a sauce to pour over steamed broccoli from cream cheese and velveeta. :) I added some parmesan and a little half and half to get it to the right thickness. Yum! I'm going to try this...I'm sure it's very yummy! Thanks! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes a great Baked Potato with a great topping is a wonderful meal, just add a salad and you're there.Your topping recipe looks awesome and I would love it. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week! Have a wonderful week end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds SO good!

    I'm hosting my first blog hop over at Peas & Carrots if you'd like to link up over there. It's at www.navefamilyfood.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly