Friday, April 1, 2011

Coconut Cream Pie (from my cookbook!=)

When my sis-in-love, Susie, first gave me this recipe, I thought it was rather strange that you would cook it on top of the stove, and then bake it for so long...

But once I took a bite, I knew it was the right thing to do!



I already had 4 egg yolks in the fridge - having used the whites for something else - so I didn't add the meringue. 

I can tell you that we enjoyed every scrumptious bite, along with some whipped topping.

However you top this delicious pie, I am sure you will enjoy every bit of YUM in it.

Please don't be intimidated by the length of the instructions.  Honestly, it's easy to make - be sure to check the 'variations' at the bottom also.

You can use this same recipe to make banana or chocolate cream, or even sour cream raisin pie.

IT'S ALLL GOOOOODD!!

COCONUT CREAM PIE

3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
2-1/2 c. milk
4 eggs, separated
1 Tb. margarine
2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
1 c. flaked coconut

1 - 9 - inch. baked pie shell
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
6 Tb. sugar
1/3 c. coconut

Preheat oven to 325. In medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk; cook over medium-high heat until thick and bubbly, then reduce heat and cook about 2 minutes more until smooth.  Remove from heat; slightly beat egg yolks with fork and add to hot filling, stirring constantly.  Place back on medium-high heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook about 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in margarine, 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla and 1 c. coconut. Pour into pie shell.

Meringue: In medium bowl, using the mixer, beat egg whites, 1/2 tsp. vanilla and cream of tartar for about 1 minute.  Gradually add sugar (6 Tb), beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.  Spread over hot filling, making sure edges seal to crust (to prevent separating) and sprinkle coconut over meringue. Bake 30 minutes; cool to room temperature, then chill at least 3 hours before serving.

Pie Crust: In medium bowl, combine -1/4 c. flour, 3/4 c. + 2 Tb. Crisco, and 2 tsp. salt. Work together with fork until crumbly.  Add 1/4 c. cold water - 1 Tb. at a time, until it forms a ball and can easily be rolled out, on a lightly floured surface.

Variations:

3 bananas, sliced
3 ozs. unsweetened chocolate
1 c. raisins
1/2 c. sour cream

BANANA CREAM: Arrange bananas in crust before adding pudding.

CHOCOLATE CREAM: Increase sugar to 1 c. and add chocolate to milk when cooking.

SOUR CREAM RAISIN: Decrease sugar to 2/3 c. and increase cornstarch to 1/3 c. Fold in raisins and sour cream along with the vanilla and butter.  Follow directions for baking. 

If you prefer whipped topping instead of meringue, chill pie for required time, then dollop with whipped topping when serving.

Linked to Sweets for a Saturday
Meal Plan Monday

7 comments :

  1. Oh that looks so good....One of my favorite pies is coconut cream. I am not a pie maker, so I will let you take care of that for me, but I love to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! My Mom used to make coconut cream and raisin pie. It's funny how some dishes bring you back to your childhood!

    Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty and springy looking! BEAUTIFUL! Visiting from Lisa's linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delicious! I love coconut within baked goods; it has such a nice texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks yummy, thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMY! When I was a kid my 3 most favorite pies were: BANANA CREAM, CHOCOLATE CREAM and LEMON MERINGUE. And guess what? They still are :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, that looks so deliciously creamy. I bet it just melts in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly