Thursday, July 28, 2011

Beef Cabbage Crescent Rolls - OH SO Yummy!

I am chuckling to think I'm finally posting this recipe.

I found it while cleaning out some recipes a while back, and know that I've had this recipe for nearly 20 years, and this is the first time I've actually made it!

It is SO delicious.  I guess you could say it was worth waiting for!

It's rare that I repeat recipes, but this one will be enjoyed again soon.

I made a few minor changes and am very pleased with the results.


Anything wrapped in crescent rolls has to be good! 

I have a similar recipe with a chicken filling that's been in my drafts for weeks, but since this was something we just tried, I was anxious to share it with you all.

I began by browning the beef, chopped onion, and minced garlic, then adding shredded cabbage and water to simmer.

(I also thought it would be good to add shredded carrots to cook with the cabbage, but didn't take the time to do that).

Then you make a rectangle with two of the crescent rolls and fold them around the filling.



I'd love to know if you come up with other ideas to season this delicious entree.

BEEF CABBAGE ROLLS
(From The Better Baker)

1# lean ground beef (I used chuck)
chopped onion and minced garlic to taste
1 sm. head cabbage, finely chopped
(about 2 cups)
1/8 tsp. garlic salt
salt & pepper to taste
1/3 c. water
1-8 ozs. pkg. crescent rolls (I used reduced-fat)
1 c. grated cheddar cheese, optional
(I used 2% reduced fat fiesta cheese blend)

Brown meat with onion and garlic; drain. Add cabbage, garlic salt, salt, pepper & water; stir. Cover - cook 15 minutes over medium heat until cabbage is cooked and water is evaporated.

Place 2 crescent rolls to form rectangle on lightly greased baking sheet, being sure to seal perforations.  

Spoon meat onto rolls; fold 2 opposite corners to center, then add other 2 corners. Twist at the top and seal sides.

Bake at 375 for 10 - 11 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven; rub (or spray) tops with butter. Divide cheese over top; bake 2 minutes longer.

Serve immediately.  Yield: 4 servings

            Recipe of the Week

8 comments :

  1. these look... wow. just wow. i am sold on this recipe, hook line and sinker. jeeeeeze, i love some beef and cabbage. must be my irish ;)
    maybe corned beef and cabbage rolls will have to happen next in my kitchen.... thanks for posting, as always i love your blog :)
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped over from Family Fresh Meals...Yum, this looks right up my ally with cabbage! {cute Jelly Bean wallpaper too:)

    http://stellabskitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I meant alley..

    Either way, thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a chain of restaurants that make a similar dish called the Runza! They were right across the street from where I worked so I ate there often. I'll have to try this recipe out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you add about 3 TBS of butter instead of the water or with a little water it makes it even better. Nice rich yummy flavor. I haven't always made these with bread dough so I am going to have to try them with crescent rolls! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Growing up, my mom made something similar, except she made yeast dough from scratch. Took forever, but was well worth it. With the leftover dough, she always made cinnamon rolls. We called them Bierocks (not sure of the spelling but it sounds like beer-rocks).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seasoned these as one might an egg roll filling. After I browned and drained the hamburger meat; I added 2 tbs Hoisin sauce, 2 tsp. Soy sauce, an extra clove of garlic, 1/2 tsp. curry powder, 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger, minced celery leaves and fresh parsley and a dash of chili powder. I also added 1 grated carrot and added a 1/3 cup of beef broth instead of water. I also baked mine in muffin cups that I had sprinkled sesame seeds in the bottom and then placed the crescent rolls on top of them so they would bake into the bottom.
    I will tell you that the crescent rolls I used were from Wal-Mart and to tell the truth they were so crappy that I couldn't get them to seal into a rectangle so just used them in the triangles and it worked out so that they fit in the muffin tins beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly