Friday, October 21, 2011

Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes with Honey Cinnamon Butter

One of my favorite things about fall is PUMPKIN!  I've been making many dishes with this wonderful fall food, and am excited to share this one with you.

I had just baked up a couple of pie pumpkins (post soon to come) and had fresh pumpkin in the fridge just waiting to be used.

I'm not a big fan of pancakes.  They always seem to heavy to me...and I can't eat much of them at once. I normally prefer ordering french toast or oatmeal when we go out to breakfast.

But let this time of the year roll in, and I am ALL ABOUT Pumpkin Pancakes.  I just love them. 

I was excited to find this recipe at Making Life Delicious and made them for our dinner that very same day.

These are light and fluffy and oh so tasty. 

I love the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves combo along with the wonderfulness of pumpkin. The recipe calls for freshly grated nutmeg...I LOVE IT!

MMMMMM!

I didn't make any changes to this recipe and thought it was perfect 'as is'.

Enjoy these cooler fall days by warming up with a plateful of pumpkin pancakes.
(say that quickly 5 times!)

BUTTERMILK PUMPKIN PANCAKES

1-1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
(I used Splenda)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
pinch of ground cloves
1 c. buttermilk
(Place 1 TB. vinegar in 1 cup measuring cup-allow to sit 5 minutes-a great substitute)
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
(I used fresh cooked)
1 large egg
3 Tb. canola oil, plus more for the griddle

In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spiced; whisk to combine.  (It already smells like pumpkin pie - oh my!)

In liquid measuring cup, whisk buttermilk, pumpkin puree, egg and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir just until combined.

Preheat griddle or electric skillet at 300*. Using a 1/3 c. measure, pour the batter onto hot griddle.  Cook first side until bubbles begin to break on top and edge starts to look cooked, about 3 minutes.  Flip and cook the second side until golden brown, a couple more minutes.

Yield: about 9 pancakes.

Serve with butter, maple syrup or even honey cinnamon butter.
This is a delicious topping for any fruit breads also - pumpkin, banana or zucchini also



HONEY CINNAMON BUTTER

1 stick butter, room temperature
2 Tb. honey (or maple syrup)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together in bowl until smooth. Store in refrigerator.




Print Friendly and PDF


Linked to


6 comments :

  1. I am sitting here starving and click on your site this morning and start drooling over these pancakes. I bet they are just wonderful. I am going to see if I have the ingredients right now to make these. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM. Sending this to Hubs so he can maybe surprise me with breakfast in bed, since he takes such great care of me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmy!! I have been contemplating the pumpkin pancake....perfect timing!! And the cinnamon honey butter sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were going to make pumpkin waffles Friday night but were out of pumpkin. My husband put pumpkin pie spice in and they were good.

    We have a tradition of having pumpkin pancakes the day we go to get our Christmas tree. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my heavens. Your pancakes look like pure heaven! I think I might make these for dinner tonight! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH YEAH! I WOULD LOVVVVVE A STACK OF THESE!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly