Friday, February 17, 2012

Overnight Baked Oatmeal (Cake) (dairy, egg, gluten and sugar free options)

This has become my 'MUST. REPEAT.' recipe as of late.

I dare say in the many many recipes I test and try, this one is on my TOP 5 list!

If you've read my blog very long, you already know I LOVE OATMEAL....in any shape or form.

I have shared a few baked oatmeal dishes with you already...and there will be more to come.


But this one is extra special....this one is SO yummy, SO easy and SO good for you too!!!

Seriously!  How can you beat that combo? 

 Since my husband is diabetic with a long list of health issues, I am always hunting for healthier recipes.  This one fits the bill all the way around.

It doesn't have any white flour, or white sugar either, plus
Whole New Mom gives options for the other 'free' choices.

You can also subscribe to her email newsletter and get a wonderful Free Cookbook of Soaked Grains recipes delivered right into your email inbox!  She has done the research for many of us that don't have time to scour the internet.  She shares many healthy living options.  Please stop by and visit her.


Adrienne 'accidently' discovered the 'cake' version of this recipe after mixing it up to let stand overnight, then got busy, and didn't get to it until a day later.  After the grains had soaked longer, the texture seemed much more like cake...as if it had flour added to it.  

Viola!!!

I have always favored oatmeal cake so to find a healthier version like this was such a gold mine for me!

I sprinkled coconut and nuts over the top and it felt like I was enjoying CAKE for Breakfast!!!!

WOOOOHOOO!!!

Please give this recipe a try. It has all the options to meet the dietary needs of anyone in your family and it is just so wonderfully delicious!

This is a dish you can feel good about your family enjoying for breakfast, lunch or for a snack! Honestly - I can eat it for any meal and feel so satisfied.


OVERNIGHT OATMEAL CAKE

4 c. rolled oats (use gluten free if necessary)
4 c. milk (or non-dairy substitute)
6 Tb. coconut oil, melted
1/3 c. granulated sweetener
3 scoops (1/32 tsp. each) stevia extract or additional 1/3 c. granulated sweetener (I like xylitol) 
1 tsp. salt (recommend Real Salt)
1 Tb. ground cinnamon
2 eggs (or 2 egg whites + 1 Tb. flax seed meal mixed with 3 Tb. water {the flax seed/water combo replaces 1 egg}
2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tb. vanilla extract
1 c. nuts, optional
1 c. fresh or dried fruit
(I added chopped fresh apples to the batter)
shredded coconut for topping, optional
cinnamon sugar for topping, optional

Mix oats, milk and sweetners in large bowl.  Soak either overnight (for more of a baked oatmeal kind of dish) or for atleast 24 hours for an Oatmeal Cake consistency.

Add remaining ingredients, saving baking powder and eggs until last. Mix well.  If using nuts or dried fruit, add half to the cake...sprinkle the remaining amount over the top.

Pour batter into greased 9" X 9" square baking dish. Top with remaining nuts and/or fruit, if using.

Top with Cinnamon sugar if desired.

Bake in preheated 375 oven for 35 - 45 minutes or until middle of cake is set.

Serve warm with milk or eat at room temperature.  Stir leftovers in refrigerator in a closed container.


7 comments :

  1. This sounds really different and delicious. I love oatmeal too and it is always a good thing to eat healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried many, many oatmeal cakes and I'm not happy with any of them. I am going to give this one a try since you highly suggest it to be repeat....thanks for sharing this Marsha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great recipe! I would love for you to link it up to my Recipe Party at The Sweet Spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this! I'm following you on bloglovin (I don't like linky followers...dashboard is hard to read and as a blogger you have to link your own posts everyday). Bloglovin is very much like Google Reader w/GFC. I'd love for you to come visit my blog and possibly follow back on bloglovin. Have a wonderful day!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love oatmeal! This will be the perfect recipe for the whole family :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so awesome!
    Thanks for linking up with The Recipe Party!
    I'm following you blog now & I hope to see you again Sunday :)
    <3 Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man does this look GOOD!!!!! I love me some oatmeal too. In anything!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly