Monday, August 20, 2012

Kansas Cornbread Salad

Oh how I wish I could give you all a bite of this tasty wonderful salad!

If you've been reading my blog posts within the last couple of weeks, you already know that I was blessed beyond measure to get to visit with Tonya of 
4 little Fergusons. I make a lot of her recipes!!

(And if you missed my post with photos about our visit together, click here 
to read my post "I Heart 4 little Fergusons....A LOT!")

She makes the very best salads and I fell madly in love with this awesome and delicious salad that she made for me. 

I had to make it soon after I got home.  It's so tasty and keeps for days.  It would be perfect for a potluck, picnic or any family get together.  I can just about promise you WILL be asked for the recipe!!!

I especially love 'different...out of the ordinary' dishes and this is one of those. 

I do have to say I like extra dressing and don't use the pinto beans. It makes a lot! 



KANSAS CORNBREAD SALAD 

1 (8-1/2 ozs.) pkg. corn muffin mix 
Additional ingredients to make muffin mix
10 slices bacon
1 c. sour cream 
1 c. Miracle Whip
1 ozs. pkt. ranch salad dressing mix
3 whole lg. tomatoes, chopped & drained
1 - 15 ozs. can pinto beans, drained
1 - 15 ozs. can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 - 15 ozs. cans corn, drained
1 c. chopped red pepper 
(or your favorite color)
1/2 c. chopped green onion
1/2 bunch cilantro, snipped (optional)
2 c. shredded co-jack cheese
(I used 2%)

Bake cornbread mix according to pkg. directions. Cool; crumble; set aside. 
(A panfull works as well as muffins as you will be crumbling it)


Cook bacon until crispy; cool; crumble; set aside.



Combine sour cream, Miracle Whip and dressing mix in small bowl; set aside.



Combine tomatoes, beans, corn, peppers, onion and cilantro in large bowl; set aside. 


In a 9x13 glass dish, layer half of the crumbled cornbread, half of the bean mixture, half the bacon and 1 cup of cheese.  Spread with half of the dressing mixture.  Next, spread remaining bean mixture, bacon, dressing, cheese and end with remaining cornbread crumbles.  Cover and chill. 


I hope this becomes a family favorite for yours as it is for mine!

Linked to Ingredient Spotlight: Corn
Creative Thursday
Thursdays Treasures
Foodie Friends Friday
Weekend Potluck
  Scrumptious Sunday
 GP Roundup - Summer Salads
Church Supper