Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tortellini Vegetable Soup

It's soup time - I've already made a couple of batches of soup this fall and didn't want to wait any longer to share this tasty dish with you. 

I'll be honest, when my friend Wanda emailed this recipe to me, I was not very excited about it. She said she loved it, but I could NOT imagine that I would. 
It's definitely not the kind of soup I would ever order when eating out...atleast I didn't think so!

Just didn't appeal to me - I've never cooked with tortellini before, though I have eaten them and enjoyed them, this soup just seemed to be 'out of my comfort zone', but because Wanda loved it so much, I decided to give it a try. 

I WAS PLEASANTLY SURPRISED! 

We both LOVED it too. I'm not a big fan of pasta, but so enjoyed having something to really bite into as the tortellini is chewy and so delicious. 
And it was even better the next day!

I added smoked sausage to ours and it added great flavor. Add bulk or link sausage if you'd like....precooked. 

This is a very tasty & brothy soup that your family is sure to enjoy. 
Great way to get veggies in them too. 


And to my dear friend Wanda I say...
BRING 'EM ON!  You have great taste and I am willing to try any recipe you say is yummy!  *I*  I LOVE SURPRISES!





TORTELLINI VEGETABLE SOUP 

  • 2 Tb. olive oil
  • 1 med. onion, chopped
  •  2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 sm. zucchini, diced
  • 1 med. carrot, peeled and diced
  • 5 -1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 tsp. dried basil (more if fresh)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 c. canned crushed tomatoes
  • (I added the whole can)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 8 - 9 ozs. fresh or frozen tortellini
  • (cheese or meat filled)
  • 2 - 3 Tb. chopped fresh parsley
  • Black pepper, to taste
Heat the olive oil in medium soup pot or large saucepan.  Add onion, garlic, zucchini and carrot.  Saute over medium heat for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring often, until onion is soft and translucent.

Add the stock, basil, bay leaf, tomatoes and salt to the pot.  Increase heat and bring to low boil. Add tortellini and bring the soup back to a low boil. Cook for 2 minutes, then reduce heat and let simmer for 5 - 6 minutes longer.  Gently stir in parsley and pepper during last minute or so.
Yield: about 5 servings 


Linked to Thursday's Treasures
         Scrumptious Sunday
            Foodie Friends Friday
       Full Plate Thursday
     Meal Plan Monday
     Weekend Potluck

6 comments :

  1. Now, I do love tortellini soup and have made it, but this sounds really delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some of this just last week....You beat me with your post. LOL!
    Certainly is a comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this soup looks amazing! I love a good tortellini soup and the kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I made your Tortellini soup last night. I added one pound of ground beef to the soup, as my husband would have complained with no meat....we thought it was very good and one we will make again. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these kind of soups! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe - I'll be making it soon!

    ~Jen @ Yummy Healthy Easy

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly