Monday, September 24, 2012

Winter Squash Squares

I love this yummy cake...and I love that I can use some of my winter (butternut) squash to make it. 

This recipe is very similar to my pumpkin sheet cake!  

It's just such a great way to use up squash and get those nutrients into your family 'in disguise'.  

I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED BEING SNEAKY LIKE THAT! 

This makes a wonderful company dessert to serve. Can't ever go wrong using cream cheese frosting either!  It is a light covering of frosting, not thick, but perfect. 

(I thought this recipe was good enough to be put in my cookbook - page 81 if you have it. I've adapted it just a tad from the printed recipe)

W-W-W-Wonderful Winter Squash Squares!  I double dog dare you to try this. 


WINTER SQUASH SQUARES 

2 c. all purpose flour
2 c. sugar
(I use 1-1/2 c.....1/2 xylitol)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
4 eggs beaten
(I use 2 eggs and 4 egg whites) 
2 c. mashed cooked winter squash (butternut)
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. applesauce

Frosting:
4 ozs. cream cheese, softened
5 Tb. butter or margarine, softened
2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tb. milk
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, optional

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 10" X 15" X 1" baking pan. 

In large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.  Stir in eggs, squash, oil and applesauce; mix well.  Pour into prepared pan. Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until bars test done.  Cool on a wire rack. 

Frosting: 

Beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth.  Add powdered sugar, vanilla and milk; stir until smooth.  Frost cooled cake.  Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Cut into squares. 

Yield: 3 - 4 dozen 




Print Friendly and PDF


*******************************
Also - here's a link for my yummy Butternut Squash Quick Bread


Linked to Thursday's Treasures
                Melt in your Mouth Monday
                 Gooseberry Patch - Harvest Favorites
Meal Plan Monday
Full Plate Thursday
Weekend Potluck

5 comments :

  1. YES! This looks awesome! I've been going through a butternut squash phase and am so excited to try this. I even have an extra squash just waiting to be used up. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how sneaky you are; disguising those nutrients. I also have to disguise exercise cuz I hate to work out.
    These squares look moist and delicous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butternuts are one of my favorite squash. I love the way you used them in place of pumpkin in any recipe. I shared your squash squares on my fan page yesterday. Yummmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess I missed this last week! :)

    I love Butternut Squash now, but I wouldn't touch it as a kid! This looks awesome Marsha! I bet I would love it! Thanks for sharing it on Melt in Your Mouth Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly