Tuesday, October 2, 2012

New York Apple Muffins with streusel topping {Healthy Option}

I always love a good muffin.  Especially one with fruit and nuts so this one really grabbed my attention when I saw it at Aunt Nubby's Kitchen.

And anything! with cream cheese ALWAYS grabs me by the neck!  *-* 

The spices make this perfectly tasty...with morning coffee, with lunch or at dinnertime...even bedtime! Makes your house smell so good too!

The recipe makes 24, but I halved it and made only 12. I'll share the original recipe so if you want, you'll have enough to put in the freezer for a quick warmup for breakfast on the go. 

This is an original Taste of Home recipe so you know it's gonna be yummy!


NEW YORK APPLE MUFFINS

2 c. all purpose flour 
(I used half white whole wheat)
3/4 c. brown sugar
(I used half that amount in brown sugar splenda)
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
(I used 1/4 tsp.)
3 eggs
(I used 2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites)
1/2 c. butter, melted
(I used Smart Balance)
3 ozs. (lite) cream cheese, cut into 1/4" cubes, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. peeled chopped apples
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped nuts

STREUSEL:

1/2 c. packed brown sugar
(I used 1/4 c. brown sugar splenda)
1/2 c. finely chopped nuts
1/4 c. all purpose flour
2 Tb. butter, melted
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. grated lemon peel, optional 

Preheat oven to 375. Prepare muffin pans by greasing or use paper liners.  In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves & nutmeg.  

In a separate bowl, combine eggs, butter, cream cheese and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. (batter will be stiff).  Fold in the apples, raisins, and nuts. Fill prepared pans 2/3 full. 

Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.  Bake 20 - 25 minutes.
(Splenda rule: Reduce baking time by 20%) Cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.  

Yield: 24 tasty muffins