Monday, November 19, 2012

Perfect Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Filling



You don't have to call very loudly...just whisper the words "cream cheese" and I'll come running!

Put cream cheese with pumpkin in any dish, and I'll be more than happy to try it for you.

So when I saw this lovely recipe post at Will Cook for Smiles that 'glob' of cream cheese smack dab in the middle of this bread was just too much for me to resist!

Of course I HAD to make it...and there was NO waiting either.

For me, the amount of spices in this recipe was perfect, but of course you can add more or less, according to your preferences.

I know I don't have to mention this, but I will....your house will smell heavenly while this wonderful bread is baking!!!!

Just take a 'Look-See' at this gorgeous lovely treat...
though the photo doesn't do it much justice.

This would make an awesome bread to give for holiday gifts!


I was tickled to use pumpkin puree from my freezer.  I cooked up quite a bit of it this fall, and love being able to use it to make delightful recipes like this one.

I planned ahead and let the puree defrost in the fridge for atleast 2 days, then I lined a small colander with a couple sheets of paper towels, dumped the thawed pumpkin in and let it drain atleast a couple of hours. 

 Makes it more like the 'real deal' that way.


OK - I spose you're ready to run to the kitchen now and make this recipe, so I'll give it to you. 


PUMPKIN BREAD WITH CREAM CHEESE FILLING

1-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. chopped nuts, optional
2 eggs
1/4 c. water
1 c. white sugar
(I used half xylitol)
1/2 c. vegetable oil
(I used 1/4 c. oil & 1/4 c. applesauce)
1 c. pumpkin puree (of course you can use canned)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9" bread pan.

In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg & nuts until blended.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs, water, sugar, & oil; mix well.  Add pumpkin puree and mix until combined.

Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir until evenly blended.

Pour 1/2 of the bread batter into the prepared pan.

CREAM CHEESE FILLING:

4 ozs. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 c. white sugar
1 egg
1 Tb. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

In small bowl, beat ingredients for filling until well combined, but do not overbeat.

Carefully spread the cream cheese filling over the middle of the batter in the pan.  Leave room between filling and sides of pan. {Cream cheese will spread out when remaining batter is poured over top. You don't want the cream cheese to stick to sides}.
Pour remaining pumpkin batter over filling.  Bake 50 - 55 minutes or until tops are done to touch.
Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cool.
Enjoy!

4 comments :

  1. I think we're both on a pumpkin roll, dear friend! It's like I can't get enough of it. I hope I don't start turning orange. Your bread looms wonderful with that ribbon of cream cheese. That bread is one of my daughter's favorite to give as gifts. Everyone loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FIRST of all... I hope you had an amazing day today, birthday girl :) Second.. This bread looks divine! Mmmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin and..Cheesecake sounds yummy together!

    I hope you had a wonderful Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that a smear of cream cheese is great on pumpkin bread (I haven't tried it yet) and I love that this has it already in the bread already! It looks so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly