Sunday, December 2, 2012

Malted Mocha Bars + Tips for Holiday Eating *-*



HAPPY DECEMBER!  Can we even believe Christmas will be here in just 4 weeks? 

Yummy..Yummy...for the Tummy!

I made these bar cookies not long ago to take to my 45th class reunion (please don't go counting up how old that makes me=) 

I helped do the planning and the country club where we gathered, didn't offer desserts(?)  Soo...we took our own. These were a real hit.

I was given the recipe many years ago by a good friend after tasting them at a potluck.  The recipe was a $200 winner in a "Best Brownies and Bar Cookies" category.  That tells you something about these tasty bites!  *-* 

I recently purchased some chocolate malted milk powder to make some special drink mixes for the holidays, so because I had it on hand, I finally got around to making this delightful dessert. 

These are delicious, but not terribly rich. Good 'company' treats. Pretty too.

Please don't let the long list of ingredients intimidate you.  I like short lists myself, but this one is worth the effort!

MALTED MOCHA BARS

2/3 c. butter, softened
2/3 c. packed brown sugar
1-1/4 c. all purpose flour
nonstick spray
3 eggs, beaten
1/3 c. granulated sugar
4 tsp. vanilla
(Yes, that's correct)
1-1/2 c. flaked coconut
3/4 c. chocolate malted milk powder
(like Ovaltine)
1/4 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. instant espresso powder or instant coffee crystals
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1-1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar
3 Tb. chocolate malted milk powder 
1 Tb. boiling water

Preheat oven to 350*. 

In mixing bowl stir together butter, brown sugar, and the 1-1/4 c. flour until smooth. If necessary, gently knead to blend.  Spray a 9" X 13" X " baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; pat flour mixture into the bottom of the pan.  Bake for 15 minutes or just until set. 

Meanwhile, beat together eggs, granulated sugar, and 2 tsp. of vanilla. Stir in coconut, the 3/4 c. malted milk powder, the 1/4 c. flour, 1-1/2 tsp. espresso powder or coffee crystals, baking powder and salt.  Carefully spread mixture on top of baked layer.  Bake 20 - 25 minutes more or until set.  Cool on a wire rack.

In medium bowl, beat together powdered sugar, 3 Tb. malted milk powder, remaining 2 tsp. vanilla, remaining 1/2 tsp. espresso or coffee crystals, and
boiling water.  If necessary, beat in a little additional boiling water until icing is spreading consistency.  Spread over cooled bars.  

Yield: 36 bars 

Nutrition facts per bar: 146 calories, 6 gr. total fat (4 sat. fat) 23 gr. carbs

Linked to 
             Foodie Friends Friday
            Ingredient Spotlight: Tea
             Ingredient Spotlight - Coffee
Weekend Potluck

Just a little 'bonus' in this post.  I couldn't help but giggle when I read this humorous list of Tips for Holiday Eating at Veronica's Cornucopia and thought you'd enjoy the 'grins' also.

After all, it IS December, and January is just around the corner. *-*


6 comments :

  1. These look and sound SO good! And yes, I'm quite sure come January, I will complain about 'all' the weight I gained over the holidays. I'm sure all 15(+) extra pounds came just from those few weeks ;-) Now...off to make my cookie list! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm! I love mocha desserts! I hope all is well. Thinking of you and your hubby. Thanks for your email update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful! I ((heart)) anything chocolate!

    Sending prayers for you and your Husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan would love these. He has always loved malted milk balls candy. :) Sounds delicious. And 45 year reunion, hmmm that makes you 25, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! Can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly