Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Crockpot (Coconut) Pecan Pie Oatmeal



I love oatmeal so much and it's been a while since I made any special dishes with it, so when I came across this amazing recipe at Foodie Friends Friday linky party, I couldn't wait to make it.  The recipe was shared by Calculus to Cupcakes. I tend to make a lot of her recipes...I think Michelle and I must share taste buds.  And her lovely photo just sucked me right into the computer screen!  *-* 

My husband was out of town for a few days, but that didn't matter, I ate this dish by myself...over a few days time. 

It's wonderfully delicious and easy too.  And really does make you think you're eating pecan pie...just a different texture. 

I'm sure you could substitute honey for the sugar, reducing the amount of milk used. Or you could use Splenda Brown Sugar Blend (using half the called amount). I added the coconut and pudding mix for a 'notch up'. 

Give it a try soon - you'll be so glad you did.  Don't fret if the pecans are dark when you first look at it in the morning...just stir them in and they'll be fine. 

Or let this cook during the day and enjoy it for your supper. MMM!



CROCKPOT (COCONUT) PECAN PIE OATMEAL 

1 c. chopped pecans, divided
1-1/2 c. rolled or steel cut oatmeal
(not quick cooking) 
4-1/4 c. milk
2/3 c. dark brown sugar
(may substitute white sugar + 1 Tb. molasses) 
2 Tb. cook n serve vanilla pudding (sugar free)
1/4 c. unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla (or coconut) extract
1/2 c. toasted coconut, optional

Toast pecans in small skillet over medium heat until you smell the nutty fragrance.  Stir frequently and watch carefully to avoid burning. Remove from skillet - toast coconut until it begins to brown.

Reserve half the pecans and coconut for serving. 

Combine remaining pecans and coconut and all the remaining ingredients in the crockpot. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. 

Serve topped with reserved pecan pieces & toasted coconut. 

Yield: 4 good sized servings 

Linked to Melt in your mouth Monday
        Keep Calm & Cook On: Crockpot Recipes
Weekend Potluck
Whatcha Crockin Wednesday

6 comments :

  1. Oh my, this sounds delicious!
    I love pecan pie..and oatmeal! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it. Just reading it is making me want to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this recipe is making me drool! I love oatmeal and this sounds like a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of pecan pie, but this makes me kind of want to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful!! I wonder if it would work with Steel Cut Oats too?

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly