Thursday, April 18, 2013

Roasted Maple Dijon Carrots



I love cooked carrots, but hadn't thought to roast them in the oven like this, before seeing this wonderful recipe at Grandma Loy's Kitchen

Years ago, a friend taught me to 'whittle' the carrots instead of chopping them straight across.  Seems it somehow made them sweeter. (?) Yes, I know,
that just might be in my head, but I double dog dare you to try it. 

I really loved this simple glaze from Loy...two ingredients.
Maple syrup and dijon mustard.  I used sugar free syrup too and we loved it.  I'm sure it's top notch if you have pure maple syrup. 

Makes a great side dish, and you can always keep them warm in the crockpot if need be. 




ROASTED MAPLE DIJON CARROTS 


8 or 9 medium carrots, peeled and chunked

(I like to 'whittle' mine)
(You may use a lb. of baby carrots too) 
1- 2 Tb. olive oil 
3 Tb. pure maple syrup
(I used our store brand of sugar free) 
1-1/2 t. dijon mustard 


Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, combine prepared carrots with olive oil. Stir well to coat evenly.  Place in 8" X 8" baking dish. (I like lining it with nonstick foil for an easier cleanup).  Bake, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, stirring about every 15 minutes, until crisp tender. In small bowl, combine maple syrup and mustard and mix until well blended. Pour over carrots and stir until evenly coated.  Roast another 10 - 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until they reach the desired tenderness.  

Yield: 4 servings

(but I could eat atleast half in one sitting!) 

DE-LISH!! 

Linked to Whatcha Whipped up Wednesday
Weekend Potluck
GBP Roundup - Farmers Market Favs




4 comments :

  1. This sounds like a really yummy side dish! Baby carrots would make it easy, but I'm like you and buy the big carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look yummy! =)

    Carrots are one of the vegetables that I like!
    Pinning to save.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your sweet comments Marsha. I am so glad that you liked these. Roasted carrots are one of my favorite veggies. In fact, I think roasting makes just about any veggie tastier. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrots aren't my favorite veggie, but I do like them with a little butter, cinnamon, and honey. But this is a keeper. It sounds great. Thank you for sharing.
    Consider yourself hugged,
    http://simpleesue.com/try-one-new-recipe-a-week-butterscotch-apple-fluff/

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly