Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mixed Nut Bars

I saw this old photo in my files...from the holidays!...and decided I needed to share this awesome recipe.

I love this recipe for the holidays, but truly, it's wonderful any time of the year. 

If you like butterscotch, you'll love these. 

It's a butterscotch/corn syrup mixture poured over nuts on a yummy flour, brown sugar and butter crust. 

Can't go wrong! And the recipe can easily be cut in half. 

(This one comes from my cookbook too!=) I'm not sure where I came across the recipe years ago. 


MIXED NUT BARS 

1-1/2 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter or margarine, plus 2 Tb. (cold)
1 (11 ozs) can mixed nuts, coarsely chopped
1 c. butterscotch chips
1/2 c. light corn syrup 

Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly grease or spray 9" X 13" X 2" baking pan.  In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt.  Cut in 1/2 c. of butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into prepared pan.  Bake 10 minutes; sprinkle with nuts.  Melt butterscotch chips (I use a lower power setting in the microwave); add corn syrup and remaining butter; mix well.  Pour over nuts.  Bake 10 minutes.  Cool. 

Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen. 

Linked to Weekend Potluck