Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"Lightened" Fresh Zucchini & Lemon Bars

We have friends who are blessed with an abundance of zucchini in their garden...and we are blessed that they chose to share it with us.

Along with this yummy recipe.  Rosa said it's a favorite in her family so I had to try it.

Very delicious...I think using fresh produce makes for the best of everything, so the fact this not only has fresh grated zucchini, but I used fresh lemon juice also...makes it VERY tasty. 

Of course, you could thaw the zucchini in your freezer and use bottled lemon juice and it would still be delicious, so don't make excuses....

Make this soon! It's SUCH a great way to 'hide' veggies and get your family to eat more of them. (It's your secret and mine, and I won't tell!=) 


LIGHTENED FRESH ZUCCHINI & LEMON BARS 

3 eggs 
(I used 2 eggs + 2 egg whites)
1-1/4 c. sugar
(I used 3/4 c. xylitol, 1/2 c. sugar) 
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. applesauce
1/4 c. (fresh) lemon juice
2 tsp. grated lemon rind, optional
1-3/4 c. fresh grated zucchini
2 c. flour
(I used 1 c. all purpose, 1 c. white whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 c. coarsely chopped nuts (toasted is best)
(we prefer pecans) 

Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly grease 9" X 13" baking pan. 

In large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce, lemon juice and rind.  Add zucchini; stir until blended.  In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Combine with zucchini mixture.  Stir in nuts.  Pour into prepared pan. Bake 40 - 50 minutes.  Begin checking early so you don't overbake. 

Add lemon juice/powdered sugar glaze if desired.  







2 comments :

  1. Oh my! This combination sounds so good! I love Zucchini and Lemon!

    Saving on Pinterest, - have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know these have to be good! I've made a zucchini & lemon bread that was my favorite way to use zucchini. I love that you're using Xylitol - it's such a healthy alternative sweetener!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly