Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Crockpot Applesauce {no sugar added}

Tis the season, right?

I LOVE all things apple.  Since I'd found apples on sale this week - 
3# bags - 2/$5 -
I had to grab a couple of bags - different varieties - and decided to make
luscious crockpot applesauce.

I have seen soooo many recipes around the net, but decided I would just
try my own thing.  It turned out beautifully and now I wish I had made even more!  Some recipes called for 6 - 8 apples.  I am so glad I used 12. 
It really cooks down so don't be afraid to fill your crockpot. 

I decided to use a variety of flavors...
Gala (my favorite apple!),
Macintosh and Golden Delicious. 


Use whatever you have.  I even saw a recipe that someone had used 8 different kinds!  

Instead of adding a little water, I used apple juice, and instead of 
adding any sugar, I used agave nectar.  I only guessed to begin with but didn't do any 'doctoring' after it was cooked. 

A number of recipes called for cooking it 4 - 6 hours on high.  Mine only took two...and I wanted a few chunks. 

It's really simple - anyone can do this.  You can always add more sweetener at the end. 

There are really no special measurements to make applesauce, but here's what I did. 

(Hover over image to pin) 

CROCKPOT APPLESAUCE (NO SUGAR ADDED)

12 medium or large apples, cored, peeled & sliced or chunked
(I cut each half in about 4 pieces...it will cook faster)
1/4 c. apple juice
1 - 2 cinnamon sticks 
about 1/4 c. agave nectar or honey 

Place apples in crockpot (I didn't grease and used a 3-qt.) along with cinnamon stick.  Pour apple juice over the apples, then drizzle with agave nectar, or honey. 

Cook on high for at least 2 hours, then check for texture. 
Or you can cook it on low for 4 - 5 hours. 
Stir with wooden spoon or potato masher if you'd like chunks.
Whir in a food processor (my hand held blender works great!) for a smoother applesauce. 

TRUST ME...It's all good..

        Linked to
               Mix it up Monday
                 Meal Plan Monday
Whatcha Crockin' Wednesday
Weekend Potluck



No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly