Sunday, April 10, 2016

Ambrosia Salad

I love love love this simple salad!
Or it can be dessert too...after all, it does have some Cool Whip in it.

I have a recipe in my first cookbook (no longer available) that is titled
FIVE CUP SALAD.

It's one cup of each of these ingredients - pineapple, mandarin oranges,
 marshmallows, coconut and sour cream.  YUM!!

Since I was making this to share at a potluck in the RV park where we spent the winter in Florida, and I needed a little more than 5 cups, I decided to add some maraschino cherries....

THEN...I saw a similar recipe with Cool Whip, so I stretched it a little farther and added that. 

So yeh, you can omit any of the ingredients and add what you prefer...
like grapes? 

It turned out to be a winner, as I came home with an empty bowl.
I love that it's so simple and has such a rich taste. 
Perfect for any holiday, but summertime too. 

This dish definitely makes you feel 'summer' but is great all year around!


AMBROSIA SALAD

1 c. mandarin oranges, drained
1 c. pineapple chunks or tidbits, drained
1 c. shredded coconut
1 c. miniature marshmallows
1 c. sour cream
1 c. Cool Whip, thawed, optional
1 c. maraschino cherries, well drained and dried, optional


Place oranges, pineapple and coconut in a large bowl. Stir in sour cream and Cool Whip, if using; blend until smooth. Stir in marshmallows. Top with cherries, or stir in just before serving. 


Linked to Full Plate Thursday
          Meal Plan Monday
           Weekend Potluck












Print Friendly and PDF