Thursday, June 30, 2016

Patriotic Rice Krispy Treats

This is a simple and fun way to add a festive touch to any patriotic holiday.

I sold these at my farmer's market stand for Memorial Day and they were a real hit. I'm making them again for July 4th weekend. 



I've seen a number of ideas, but I went with this one I saw at Lil' Luna,  She has a great picture tutorial so be sure to check her out. And her colors are nice and vibrant too! 



PATRIOTIC RICE KRISPY TREATS 

6 c. Rice Krispies cereal
1 (10 ozs) pkg. mini marshmallows
 3 TB. butter
red & blue food coloring (gel colors are brighter)
I think the colors 'fade' as these set up, so make them
brighter than what you think they should be....
 Divide the rice krispies and marshmallows in three parts for the three layers (2 cups rice krispies and about 2 cups marshmallows)


Spray 9" X 9" (or 8" X 8") pan with non stick cooking spray; set aside. 
I like to microwave the marshmallows. Place them in a large microwave safe bowl along with 1 Tb. margarine for a few minutes or until they start to puff up. Stir well and add the food coloring (I used a bit of blue gel I had leftover, then added blue food coloring...same with the red - Original recipe suggests adding 1/4 – 1/3 tube of the gel food coloring which makes the colors pretty and bright). Add the 2 cups of Rice Krispies and stir well. Press into prepared pan. 
Repeat process with each layer; press well into pan.  (I used a large metal spatula - sprayed with non stick cooking spray) to press firmly into pan, 
Let stand in pan until set up then cut and serve.   


Or simply top your 'plain' rice krispies with red and blue mini M & M's and sprinkles.

It's an attention getter. 

Linked to 
Weekend Potluck
Meal Plan Monday




Whatever you do, enjoy a wonderful and safe 4th! 

It's right around the corner!!!!!!!!!! 




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly